World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Òrrius

Article Id: WHEBN0018466514
Reproduction Date:

Title: Òrrius  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Cabrils, Vilassar de Dalt, Argentona, Montgat, Caldes d'Estrac
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Òrrius


Òrrius is a village and municipality in the comarca of Maresme in the province of Barcelona and autonomous community of Catalonia, Spain. The municipality is delimited by La Roca del Vallès to the North, Vilassar de Dalt to the South East, Argentona to the south, and Cabrils to the southwest.

History

Cited for the first time as vila de Orreos in documents from 974. This name, that has is origin in Latin, means "Barns". It formed part of the lands of the Lords of Burriac until in 1357 King Peter IV of Aragon conceded jurisdiction of the area to the Lords of Roca del Vallés.

Main sights

The village is centred on the church of Sant Andreu (Saint Andrew), built in the 16th century in the late Gothic style. It is on the Latin cross plan, and has back to back chapels that were added later. There is also a small Romanesque hermitage. The bell tower is of later construction, being added to the church in 1826. In 1981 treasure, in the form of coins from the time of Berenguer Ramón II, was found within the church.

Also within the Municipality is the church of Sant Bartomeu de Cabanyes, first recorded in 1191.

Events

Òrrius celebrates its fiesta mayor on 30 November, the Feast of Saint Andrew. During this fiesta peixos are eaten; a small cake, typical to the village, in the form of a fish. There is also the Festa de la Plantada del Maig, celebrated on the second Saturday of May, where a tall tree that has been carried around the village by the villagers is planted in the town square.

Economy

Traditionally, the principal economic activity is agriculture. Nevertheless, the proximity of the village to Mataró means that since the 1970s the village has become home to many residents of that town. For this reason, many inhabitants work outside the village.

There is little industrial activity, though there is a small granite quarry that continues to be exploited.

References

External links

  • General Information
  • Statistical data
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.