World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

1–7 Constitution Hill, Birmingham

 

1–7 Constitution Hill, Birmingham

1–7 Constitution Hill
Red Palace from Constitution Hill taken 2006
Red Palace from Hampton Street taken 2006

The former H.B. Sale factory (grid reference ), at 1–7 Constitution Hill, Birmingham 19, England, at the acute junction with Hampton Street, is a Grade II listed building. The red brick and terracotta structure is extremely thin, with a tower at one end.

History

It was designed in 1895 and 1896 by William Doubleday and James R. Shaw for H. B. Sale, a die-sinker firm that as of 2012 occupies premises on Summer Lane within 100 metres of the original building. The original plans were for five stories, but only four were built. A fifth storey was added in the mid-20th century before planning laws were in force to protect the integrity of original structures and as a result, the fifth floor is not of the same architectural style of the 1895 building. The tower is original, built in 1896 as a memorial to Lord Roberts of Kandahar (1832–1914) who led a successful campaign in Afghanistan in 1879 before a career in India.[1] Plans show three independent shops and offices at ground level. Each upper floor, measuring approximately 900 square feet (84 m2), was designed as a single workshop with an office in the tower. There was an engine room and dynamo in the basement.

The present owner also purchased the adjacent buildings numbers 9-11 Constitution Hill in the early 1990s in order to provide better access to the listed main body of the property.

Known locally as the 'Red Palace', the building as of 2007 was only occupied on the top two floors. The lower floors remained empty after the previous tenant, a Chinese restaurant trading as 'China Village', vacated in approximately 2002. The basement floor was used as the kitchens serving the main restaurant on the ground floor and function room on the first floor. The building fabric has been deteriorating for a number of years and needs a significant investment if the building is to survive long term.

The ground and first floor re-opened as a Syrian/Lebanese restaurant called 'Syriana' in April 2008.

References

  1. ^ Birmingham The City Centre – Volume 1 Past and Present, David Harvey, 2002, ISBN 1-85895-169-0
  • Pevsner Architectural Guides – Birmingham, Andy Foster, 2005, ISBN 0-300-10731-5
  • Birmingham (City Building Series), Douglas Hickman, 1970, Studio Vista Limited
  • The Birmingham Jewellery Quarter – An Architectural Survey of the Manufactories, John Cattell, Sheila Ely, Barry Jones, English Heritage, 2002, ISBN 1-873592-48-5
  •  

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.