World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

150th Air Refueling Squadron

150th Air Refueling Squadron
150th Air Refueling Squadron KC-135 Stratotanker
Active 1956-2008
Country  United States
Allegiance  New Jersey
Branch   Air National Guard
Type Squadron
Role Air Refueling
Part of New Jersey Air National Guard
Garrison/HQ Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, Wrightstown, New Jersey
Nickname(s) "Count on us"
Tail Code Orange Tail Stripe "New Jersey" in black letters, Princeton Tiger graphic
Insignia
150th Air Refueling Squadron emblem

The 150th Air Refueling Squadron (150 ARS) was a unit of the New Jersey Air National Guard 108th Air Refueling Wing. It was assigned to McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey and was equipped with the KC-135 Stratotanker aircraft. The Squadron was inactivated in 2008 following the retirement of the wings KC-135E aircraft.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Lineage 2
    • Assignments 2.1
    • Stations 2.2
    • Aircraft 2.3
  • References 3
  • External links 4

History

Established at Newark Airport, NJ, on February 1, 1956 Initially equipped with C-46 Commando aircraft, performed primarily tactical transport missions from Newark in the northeast. In 1964 retired the C-46s and was re-equipped with C-121 Constellation long distance transports, primarily for passenger movements to Europe, also flew to the Caribbean and to Japan, Thailand, South Vietnam, Australia and the Philippines during the Vietnam War.

The Constellations were retired in 1973, being replaced with the C-7 Caribou light transport, which were withdrawn from service in the Vietnam War. The C-7s were used for carrying small payloads in combat areas with rough airstrips.

In 1977 upon the receipt of Boeing KC-135 Stratotankers the unit became the 150th Air Refueling Squadron. It was the first air refueling unit in the Nation to launch tankers to establish the now famous U.S. Saudi Arabia "Air Bridge" during OPERATION DESERT Shield-DESERT STORM. Hours after President Bush ordered U.S. forces to the Persian Gulf, 150th aircrews were refueling fighters and cargo transports winging their way nonstop from the U.S. to the Persian Gulf. Shortly thereafter, and again, prior to certain units personnel being activated, the 150th deployed aircraft, aircrews, maintenance and support personnel to Saudi Arabia. It also provided urgently needed medical, security police and support personnel to U.S. air bases to assist active duty personnel and serve as "back-fill" for those already rushed to the combat theater.

On 1 October 1993, the 170th Air Refueling Group was consolidated with the senior 108th Air Refueling Wing at McGuire for budgeting reasons. The 170th Air Refueling Group was inactivated, however, the 150th Air Refueling Squadron remained active, being assigned to the 108th Operations Group as its second KC-135 Squadron (along with the 141st ARS).

In September 1994, for over 30 days, five aircraft and 300 members deployed to Pisa, Italy for DENY FLIGHT. Supported by 15 active duty Air Force personnel, the squadron was the first Air Guard Unit to take full responsibility during that period.

Lineage

Legacy Emblem
  • Designated 150th Air Transport Squadron, Heavy and allotted to New Jersey ANG, 1956
Extended federal recognition and activated, 1 February 1956
Redesignated 150th Aeromedical Evacuation Transport Squadron, Light on 1 February 1957
Redesignated 150th Air Transport Squadron, Heavy on 10 December 1963
Redesignated 150th Military Airlift Squadron on 1 January 1966
Redesignated 150th Aeromedical Airlift Squadron ca. 1 December 1969
Redesignated 150th Tactical Airlift Squadron on 22 June 1973
Redesignated 150th Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy on 1 April 1977
Redesignated 150th Air Refueling Squadron ca. 16 March 1992

Assignments

Gained by Military Air Transport Service

Stations

Aircraft

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.