168th Field Artillery Battalion (United States)

168th Field Artillery Regiment
Coat of arms
Active 1911
Country United States
Branch Colorado Army National Guard
Type Field artillery
PartĀ of 75th Field Artillery Brigade
Motto Accomplished With Energy

The 168th Field Artillery Regiment is a Field Artillery Branch regiment of the Army National Guard.

During World War II the unit was configured under the 75th Field Artillery Brigade with the following units-

  • 168th Field Artillery (155mm)(Motorized) Battalion Colorado National Guard
  • 181st Field Artillery (155mm)(Trk Drawn) Battalion Tennessee National Guard
  • 191st Field Artillery (155mm)(Trk Drawn) Battalion Tennessee National Guard

Lineage

A Colorado unit of the 148th Field Artillery was reorganized in the Colorado National Guard as the 1st Battalion, 158th Field Artillery and Federally recognized 9 July 1923 with headquarters at Loveland.

  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1926 as the 168th Field Artillery Battalion (Horse).

Redesignated 1 August 1933 as the 1st battalion, 168th Field Artillery.

  • Inducted into federal Service 24 February 1941 at Denver.

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1943 as the 168th field Artillery Battalion. During World War II the battalion was part of the 75th Field Artillery Brigade. Inactivated 17 January 1946 at Camp Stoneman, California Reorganized and Federally recognized 6 January 1947 with Headquarters at Denver

The current unit's lineage is as follows: 3rd Battalion, 134th Infantry, an element of the 34th Infantry Division (United States), was organized and federally recognized 4 December 1946. Its Headquarters was created at North Platte, Nebraska. It was converted and redesigned 1 March 1959 as the 168th Regimental Artillery, consisting of the 1st and 2nd Howitzer Battalions, elements of the 34th Infantry Division. Reorganized 1 April 1963 to consist of the 1st Howitzer Battalion non-divisional, and 2nd Howitzer Battalion, an element of the 67th Infantry Brigade. Reorganized 1 March 1964 to consist of the 1st Howitzer Battalion non-divisional, and 2nd Howitzer Battalion, and element of the 67th Infantry Brigade. Reorganized 1 May 1968 to consist of the lst Battalion, an element of the 67th Infantry Brigade. Reorganized 1 October 1985 to consist of the 1st Battalion, 168th Field Artillery, an element of the 35th Division Artillery, direct support to the 67th Infantry Brigade. Deactivated 4 October 1997.

Campaign

  • Headquarters Baftery and Service Battery: Aleutian Islands Normandy Northern France Rhineland Ardennes-Alsace Central Europe
  • Entitled to: Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer Bastone, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, St. Lo
  • Battery B: Normandy Northern France Rhineland Ardennes-Alsace Central Europe
  • Entitled to: Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer Bastone, Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer St. Lo. French Croix de Guerre with Palm, St. Lo.


Background

The coat of arms was originally approved for the 168th Field Artillery Battalion on 13 November 1928. It was amended to correct the blazon of the shield on 19 January 1929. It was redesignated for the 168th Field Artillery Regiment on 9 January 1943. The insignia was redesignated for the 168th Field Artillery Battalion on 18 August 1943. It was rescinded/cancelled on 1 September 1961. The insignia was reinstated and redesignated for the 168th Regiment on 24 April 1997. It was amended to correct the blazon of the shield on 17 November

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.