World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

60th Fighter Wing

60th Fighter Wing
116th Fighter Squadron F-51 Mustangs, 1948
Active 1943-1945; 1946-1950
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Type Wing
Role Command and Control
Part of Washington Air National Guard
Engagements World War II

The 60th Fighter Wing (60 FW) is a disbanded unit of the United States Air Force, last stationed at Felts Field, Spokane, Washington. It was withdrawn from the Washington Air National Guard (WA ANG) and inactivated on 31 October 1950.

This wing is not related to the 60th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium, or subsequent units that was constituted and activated on 1 July 1948.

Contents

  • History 1
    • World War II 1.1
    • Air National Guard 1.2
    • Lineage 1.3
    • Assignments 1.4
    • Components 1.5
    • Stations 1.6
  • References 2
  • External links 3

History

World War II

The wing was a World War II command and control organization for Army Air Bases training replacement personnel being assigned to troop carrier groups and glider units in the overseas combat theaters. Inactivated at the end of the war.

Air National Guard

Allocated to the Washington Air National Guard for command and control origination for units in the Northwest region (Washington, Oregon) of the United States. Extended federal recognition and activated on 7 December 1947.

At the end of October 1950, the Air National Guard converted to the wing-base 142d Fighter Wing was established by the National Guard Bureau, allocated to the state of Oregon, recognized and activated 1 November 1950; assuming the personnel, equipment and mission of the inactivated 60th Fighter Wing.

Lineage

  • Constituted as 60th Troop Carrier Wing on 5 June 1943
Activated on 12 June 1043
Inactivated on 8 October 1945
  • Re-designated 60th Fighter Wing, and allotted to the Washington ANG on 24 May 1946
Extended federal recognition and activated on 7 December 1947
Inactivated, and returned to the control of the Department of the Air Force, on 31 October 1950
  • Disbanded on 15 June 1983

Assignments

Components

Stations

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.