World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

63d Fighter Wing

63d Fighter Wing
111th Fighter Squadron, F-51D Mustang 44-73656, Ellington Field, Houston, Texas, 1948
Active 1942–1945; 1946-1950
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Type Wing
Role Command and Control
Part of Texas Air National Guard
Engagements World War II

The 63d Fighter Wing (63 FW) is a disbanded unit of the United States Air Force, last stationed at Ellington Field, Houston, Texas. It was withdrawn from the Texas Air National Guard (TX ANG) and inactivated on 11 October 1950.

This wing is not related to the 63d Troop Carrier Wing, Medium, or subsequent units that was constituted on 10 May 1949 and activated on 27 June 1949.

Contents

  • History 1
    • World War II 1.1
    • Air National Guard 1.2
    • Lineage 1.3
    • Assignments 1.4
    • Components 1.5
      • World War II 1.5.1
      • Texas Air National Guard 1.5.2
    • Stations 1.6
  • References 2
  • External links 3

History

World War II

Organized as a command and control organization for XII Fighter Command and controlled fighter groups engaged in escort, patrol, strafing, and reconnaissance missions against enemy forces in North Africa. Later moved to Italy and participated in Italian Campaign, also in Rhone Valley Campaign in Southern France; Western Allied Invasion of Germany in the spring of 1945. Inactivated in November 1945.

Air National Guard

Allocated to the Texas Air National Guard for command and control origination for units in the South Central region (Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana) of the United States. Extended federal recognition and activated on 24 May 1946.

At the end of October 1950, the Air National Guard converted to the wing-base (Korean War and assigned to USAF Major Commands,

Lineage

  • Constituted as 2d Air Defense Wing on 12 December 1942 and activated the same day.
Re-designated 63d Fighter Wing in July 1943
Inactivated on 11 December 1945.
  • Allotted to the Texas ANG on 24 May 1946
Extended federal recognition and activated on 23 May 1948
Inactivated, and returned to the control of the Department of the Air Force, on 31 October 1950
  • Disbanded on 15 June 1983

Assignments

Components

World War II

Texas Air National Guard

Stations

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.