World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

74th Infantry Regiment (United States)

Article Id: WHEBN0032604335
Reproduction Date:

Title: 74th Infantry Regiment (United States)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 75th Infantry Regiment (United States), 75th Ranger Regiment (United States), Infantry Branch (United States)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

74th Infantry Regiment (United States)

74th Infantry Regiment
Coat of arms
Active 1918
Country  United States
Branch Army
Type Infantry
Size Regiment
Motto '"Audax et Fortis" (Bold and Brave)
Insignia
DUI
U.S. Infantry Regiments
Previous Next
73rd Infantry Regiment 75th Infantry Regiment

The 74th Infantry Regiment was a regular infantry regiment of the United States Army. There have been two units given the title '74th Infantry Regiment'; the first was a World War I unit of the 12th Infantry Division, and the second was a World War II unit formed with US Army personnel and equipment of the inactivating US-Canadian 1st Special Service Force "Devil's Brigade". This unit was first designated as the 474th Infantry Regiment, later redesignated as the 74th Infantry Regiment.

World War I regiment

Constituted 9 July 1918 in the Regular Army as the 74th Infantry and assigned to the Camp Devens, Massachusetts. Relieved from the 12th Division and demobilized 31 January 1919 at Camp Devens. Reconstituted 18 July 1941 in the Regular Army. Disbanded 4 August 1952.

World War II regiment

Constituted 11 November 1944 in the Regular Army as the 474th Infantry. Activated 6 January 1945 in France with American personnel from the joint Canadian-American 1st Special Service Force. (99th Infantry Battalion replaced 3rd Battalion on 25 January 1945.) Inactivated, less 99th Infantry Battalion, on 26 October 1945 at Camp Shanks, New York. 99th Infantry Battalion inactivated on 2 November 1945 at Camp Miles Standish, Massachusetts.

Redesignated 74th Infantry on 21 June 1954 and activated on 8 October 1954 at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. Inactivated, less the 99th Infantry Battalion, on 16 September 1956 at Fort Devens; concurrently the 99th Infantry Battalion was relieved as an organic element of the 74th Infantry.

This unit earned a campaign streamer for Central Europe.

Distinctive unit insignia

  • Description

A Silver color and metal enamel device 1 18 inches (2.9 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Azure, a cross Gules fimbriated Argent, in dexter chief two arrows saltirewise of the like, and in sinister base a fleur-de-lis of the last. Attached below a Silver scroll inscribed “AUDAX ET FORTIS” (Bold and Brave) in Blue letters.

  • Symbolism

Blue is the color used for Infantry. The red cross appears on the Norwegian flag and alludes to the 3d Battalion (99th Infantry Battalion), constituted and activated in 1942, and composed of the citizens of Norway living in the United States and Norwegian speaking Americans. The make-up of the remainder of the Regiment was American personnel from the joint Canadian-American 1st Special Service Force; signified by its badge of two crossed arrows. The fleur-de-lis represents the Regiment’s European battle honors awarded for service during World War II. The motto translates “Bold and Brave.”

The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 23 August 1954.

Notes

References

External links

  • http://www.history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lh.html
  • http://www.99battalion.org/
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.