World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

7th Air Refueling Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0027557927
Reproduction Date:

Title: 7th Air Refueling Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 19th Operations Group, 55th Air Refueling Squadron, List of United States Air Force air refueling squadrons, 105th Air Refueling Squadron, 711th Air Refueling Squadron
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

7th Air Refueling Squadron

7th Air Refueling Squadron
Emblem of the 7th Air Refueling Squadron
Active 1955–1991
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Air Refueling
Role Aerial Refueling

The 7th Air Refueling Squadron is an inactive Georgia.

It was inactivated on 1 January 1993.

History

Established in 1943 by Air Transport Command in India, the squadron flew C-46 Commando transports from the Assam Valley in India over the 'Hump' to bases in China, flying supplies, personnel and equipment to support Fourteenth Air Force combat units in the China Burma India Theater (CBI).

Reactivated as part of Military Air Transport Service in 1952, it flew C-54 Skymasters from McChord AFB, Washington to Elmendorf AFB and Ladd AFB, Alaska Territory. It moved to Travis AFB, California in 1953, where it was re-equipped with C-124 Globemaster II intercontinental strategic transport aircraft. The unit flew very long range strategic airlift missions within the MATS Western Transport Air Force area from California to Japan, Philippines, Indochina and Karachi Airport in West Pakistan during the 1950s. It was inactivated in 1955 due to budget reductions.

It was re-activated at Carswell AFB, Texas on 1 April 1958 when its parent unit, the 7th Bombardment Wing received B-52 Stratofortresses. The unit provided air-to-air refueling on a worldwide basis for over 30 years with KC-135 Stratotankers. It remained assigned to the 7th BMW at Carswell until 1 June 1992. Reassigned to the 19th Operations Group at Robins AFB, the squadron was inactivated in 1993 as part of the post Cold War drawdown of the USAF.

(Not operational 6 May – 1 December 1965 and 10 Dec 1969 – 31 Mar 1970 due to operations in Southeast Asia. All aircrews and aircraft were deployed or on loan to provisional units at Kadena AB, Okinawa, Andersen AFB, Guam or U-Tapao RTNAF, Thailand.) On 19 Sep 1985 the 7th Air Refueling Squadron was consolidated with the 77th Air Transport Squadron (Heavy), a unit that was last active 01 Jul 1955, . This action was directed by Department of the Air Force Letter DAF/MPM 662q Attachment 1 (Active Units), 19 Sep 1985. The Consolidated Unit will retain the Designation of 7th Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy".

Lineage

  • Constituted as the 77th Air Corps Ferrying Squadron on 30 Jan 1943
Activated 22 Feb 1943
Redesignated the 77th Transport Squadron 1 Jul 1943
Disbanded 1 Dec 1943
  • Reconstituted on 16 Sep 1952 as the 77th Air Transport Squadron
Activated on 24 Sep 1952
Inactivated on 1 Jul 1955
  • Consolidated 19 Sep 1985 with the 7th Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy
Activated on 1 Apr 1958
Inactivated on 1 June 1992
  • Activated on 1 June 1992
Inactivated on 1 January 1993

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

  • C-46 Commando 1943
  • C-54 Skymaster, 1952-1953
  • C-97 Stratofreighter, 1953-1955
  • KC-135 Stratotanker, 1958-1992, 1992-1993

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) [1969]. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History.  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.