World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

86th Fighter Wing (Air National Guard)

86th Fighter Wing
F-51 Mustangs of the 120th Fighter Squadron, Colorado Air National Guard, November 1946. The 120th was the first federally recognized Air National Guard unit in the United States.
Active 1943–1946; 1946-1950
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Type Wing
Role Command and Control
Part of Colorado Air National Guard

The 86th Fighter Wing (86 FW) is a disbanded unit of the United States Air Force, last stationed at Buckley Field, Denver, Colorado. It was withdrawn from the Colorado Air National Guard (CO ANG) and inactivated on 31 October 1950.

This wing is not related to the United States Air Force 86th Fighter Wing that was Constituted on 1 July 1948 and activated in Germany the same day by the United States Air Forces in Europe.

Contents

  • History 1
    • World War II 1.1
    • Air National Guard 1.2
    • Lineage 1.3
    • Assignments 1.4
    • Components 1.5
      • World War II 1.5.1
      • Colorado Air National Guard 1.5.2
    • Stations 1.6
  • References 2
  • External links 3

History

World War II

Activated as an intermediate echelon organization for Fifth Air Force in late 1943.

From May 1944 to August 1945, it operating as a command and control echelon with various groups that were attached for brief periods in the Southwest Pacific Area. After the end of hostilities, the wing became responsible for establishing and operating an aircraft warning system in the Philippine Islands.

All personnel and equipment transferred to the 64th Fighter Wing on 15 February 1946 and the unit became an administrative unit. Inactivated on 15 March 1946.

Air National Guard

Allocated to the Colorado Air National Guard for command and control origination for units in the Rocky Mountain region (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico) of the United States. Extended federal recognition and activated on 3 July 1946.

At the end of October 1950, the Air National Guard converted to the wing-base (140th Fighter Wing was established by the National Guard Bureau, allocated to the state of Colorado, recognized and activated 1 November 1950; assuming the personnel, equipment and mission of the inactivated 86th Fighter Wing.

Lineage

  • Constituted as 86th Fighter Wing on 19 November 1943
Activated on 1 December 1943
Inactivated on 15 March 1946.
  • Allotted to the Colorado ANG on 24 May 1946
Extended federal recognition and activated on 3 July 1946
Inactivated, and returned to the control of the Department of the Air Force, on 31 October 1950
  • Disbanded on 15 June 1983

Assignments

Attached to: 308th Bombardment Wing, 16 January – 15 March 1946.

Components

World War II

Colorado Air National Guard

Stations

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.