World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Acme Boots

 

Acme Boots

The Acme Shoe Company is a manufacturer of western footwear.

History

Acme Boots was founded in 1929, during the Great Depression. Two Chicago shoe manufacturers, Jessel Cohn and his son, Sidney, decided to move their children’s and infants' shoemaking plant from Chicago, Illinois to Clarksville, Tennessee.

They set up their business in a two-story brick building on Crossland Avenue and called it the Acme Shoe Manufacturing Company. They hired 100 employees and began producing sandal-like footwear for children and infants under the name Just-Kids. The shoes sold for 40 to 50 cents a pair. The Cohns continued their children’s business until 1935, when the senior Cohn returned home from a business trip to Texas. While there, Cohn saw a pair of western boots that cost $65.00, well beyond the reach of the average shoe buyer at the time.

Cohn took a pair of boots back to Clarksville to see how they were made. He studied the boots carefully, noting every detail of their construction. After his inspection, he and his son decided they could produce the same boots on an assembly line, allowing them to sell the boots for a better price.

A short time later, the Cohns dropped their children’s footwear line in favor of the boots and renamed the company Acme Boots. In the 1940s, Acme Boots became the largest maker of cowboy boots and remained the world's largest until the mid-1980s.

Acme Boots has since been held by various corporations, including Arena Brands of Dallas, Texas, which licensed the Acme Brand to the Texas Boot Company of Lebanon, Tennessee in 2000.

In 2002, Texas Boot put the Acme Boot brand up for sale, where it was purchased by H.H. Brown, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, and placed under the Double-H Boots brand label, where it remains today. Acme was purchased to create a price point product story to complement the Double-H brand of western boots and footwear.

References

External links

  • H. H. Brown Corporate Division website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.