World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Aghjots Vank

Article Id: WHEBN0030790664
Reproduction Date:

Title: Aghjots Vank  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Church of the Holy Mother of God, Darashamb, Kirants Monastery, Church of Saint John, Mastara, Saint Nicholas Monastery, Jaffa, Sourp Asdvadzadzin (Sarnaq)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Aghjots Vank

Aghjots Vank
Աղջոց վանք
Aghjots Vank with a the small chapel of 1270 (left)
Aghjots Vank is located in Armenia
Aghjots Vank
Shown within Armenia
Basic information
Location Located approximately 3 miles from Goght and Garni, and .5 miles from the hamlet of Mets Gilanlar in the Khosrov State Reserve, Ararat Province,  Armenia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Region Caucasus
Status Abandoned/ Ruins
Architectural description
Architectural type Armenian; Monastery
Founder Grigor Lusavorich
Funded by Princess Zaza, Ivane Zakarian and Prince Grigor Khaghbakian.
Groundbreaking Unknown
Completed S. Stepanos Church, early 13th century
S. Poghos Petros Church, 1270
Gavit, late 13th century

Aghjots Vank (Armenian: Աղջոց վանք; also more commonly Surb Stepanos Vank Armenian: Սուրբ Ստեփանոս վանք) is a 13th-century monastery situated along a tributary of the Azat River Valley within the Khosrov State Reserve located half a mile walk from the hamlet of Mets Gilanlar, and near the villages of Goght and Garni (approximately 3–4 miles) in the Ararat Province of Armenia. Not far from this location and also within the reserve is the fortress of Kakavaberd and the monastic complex of Havuts Tar.

Etymology

The etymology of Aghjots Vank is derived from the nearby abandoned village of Aghjots.

History and Site

According to local folklore, the monastery was founded by Grigor Lusavorich upon the site of the martyrdom of Stepanos (Stephen), a supposed companion to S. Hripsime during the time of Armenia's conversion to Christianity in 301 AD. The 5th-century Armenian historian Agathangelos wrote that the young and beautiful Hripsimé who at the time was a Christian nun in Rome, was to be forcefully married to the Roman emperor Diocletian. She and the abbess Gayané among other nuns fled the tyrant emperor and left to Armenia. The pagan Armenian King Trdat received a letter from Diocletian in which he described her beauty. Trdat discovered where the nuns were hiding, and fell in love with Hripsimé and later Gayané. After her refusal of his advances, Hripsimé was tortured and martyred at the location of Saint Hripsime Church, while Gayané was tortured and martyred at a separate location where Saint Gayane Church was later built in 630. The remaining group of thirty-eight unnamed nuns were martyred at the location where the church of Shoghakat is today. During the time that Hripsimé was being tortured, Gayané told her to "be of good cheer, and stand firm" in her faith. King Trdat was to be later converted to Christianity and made it the official religion of the kingdom.

The exact date that the monastery was founded is unknown. What is known is that the majority of the monastery was funded by Princess Zaza during the 13th century.

The complex of Aghjots Vank consists of the church of Surb Stepanos (Saint Stephen), a church of Surb Poghos Petros (Saints Peter and Paul), and a gavit adjacent. S. Stepanos was built during the early 13th century and is the main church within the complex. It has a cruciform plan, four portals and a vaulted church of S. Poghos Petros attached to the northern wall. Poghos Petros was built in 1270 and has remarkable bas-relief carvings of Saints Peter (left) and Paul (right) that flank the portal. A gavit that has since partially fallen down the hill, was added to the western end of S. Stepanos in the second half of the 13th century. Further construction was funded by Ivane Zakarian as well as by the local Prince Grigor Khaghbakian.

S. Stepanos Vank was sacked by the Persians in 1603 and restored soon after. It was destroyed again in the Earthquake of 1679 that destroyed the nearby monastery of Havuts Tar and the pagan temple of Garni. The monastery was despoiled again in the 18th century and permanently ruined during the Armenian–Tatar massacres of 1905–1907. It now sits in ruins within the Khosrov State Reserve.

Numerous inscriptions may be seen on the churches and gavit. The site has several khatchkars dating from the 12th to 17th centuries, some of which were built into the walls of the structures. There is a cemetery from the 7th to 17th centuries located approximately 150 meters west of the complex upon a hill.

Gallery

References

Bibliography

  • Brady Kiesling, Rediscovering Armenia, p. 53; original archived at Archive.org, and current version online on Armeniapedia.org.
  • Kiesling, Brady (2005), Rediscovering Armenia: Guide,  

External links

  • Armeniapedia: Aghjots Vank
  • Virtualarmenia.am: Aghjots Vank
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.