World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Aizpute

Article Id: WHEBN0003937648
Reproduction Date:

Title: Aizpute  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Aizpute municipality, List of National Roads in Latvia, Yakov Peters, Durbe, List of cities and towns in Latvia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Aizpute

Aizpute
Town
St. John Lutheran church in Aizpute built in 1253
St. John Lutheran church in Aizpute built in 1253
Coat of arms of Aizpute
Coat of arms
Aizpute is located in Latvia
Aizpute
Aizpute
Location in Latvia
Coordinates:
Country  Latvia
District Aizpute municipality
Town rights 1378
Government
 • Mayor Juris Grasmanis
Area
 • Total 6.9 km2 (2.7 sq mi)
Population
 • Total 5 104
 • Density 742/km2 (1,920/sq mi)
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal code LV-3456
Calling code +371 634
Number of city council members 11

Aizpute (German: Hasenpoth) is a town in western Latvia's Aizpute municipality in the valley of Tebra River, 50 km (31 mi) northeast of Liepāja.

Contents

  • History 1
  • International relations 2
    • Twin towns — Sister cities 2.1
  • See also 3
  • External links 4

History

The territory of modern Aizpute was inhabited by ancient Curonians since the 9th century. St. John Lutheran church has been built on the curonian hillfort. In the 13th century during the Livonian crusade, the territory of Aizpute was conquered by German crusaders. Already in 1248 the master of the Livonian Order Dietrich von Grüningen ordered the building of a stone castle in Aizpute. The castle and the whole settlement became known as Hasenpoth. After the partition of Courland in 1253 Aizpute became part of the Bishopric of Courland. In 1260 Aizpute church is built. Bishop of Courland Otto granted Magdeburg rights to Aizpute in 1378.

In the second half of the 16th century Aizpute experienced rapid development because Tebra river was used as main trade route for merchants of Aizpute who shipped their cargo down to the sea. After the Polish-Swedish war all trade and shipping infrastructure was destroyed and Aizpute started to experience decline. During 1611-1795 it was under the power of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth as a capital of the semi-autonomous Powiat Piltynski (District of Piltene).

In 1795 Aizpute and whole of Courland was incorporated into Russian Empire and became part of Courland Governorate. During Russian revolution of 1905 Aizpute was one of the places where local revolutionists showed armed resistance to Cossack punitive units. It led to the so-called Aizpute War.

During Republic of Latvia Aizpute became centre of a district but in the Soviet period it lost its position and became part of Liepāja district. Since 2009 Aizpute is a centre of Aizpute municipality.

Its current name is the Lettization of the German one and is officially in use since 1917.

International relations

Twin towns — Sister cities

Aizpute is twinned with:

See also

External links

  • Photographs of the town in 2007


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.