World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Alabama's 9th congressional district

Article Id: WHEBN0011113279
Reproduction Date:

Title: Alabama's 9th congressional district  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Oscar Underwood, George Huddleston, Outline of Alabama
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Alabama's 9th congressional district

"AL-9" redirects here. For the state route, see Alabama State Route 9.
Alabama's 9th congressional district (obsolete)
Population (1950) 558,928
Created 1890 Census
Eliminated 1960 Census
Years 1893-1963

Alabama's 9th congressional district was formerly apportioned to portions of central and western Alabama from 1893 until 1963 when the seat was lost due to reapportionment after the 1960 United States Census.

Highlights

Formed in 1893, the district was first represented by Louis Washington Turpin, a self-educated tax assessor from Hale County. The district was represented by Democrats during the whole of its existence except from 1896-1897 when Truman Heminway Aldrich, a Republican, unseated Oscar W. Underwood in a post-election contest.

The 1960 United States Census and the subsequent reapportionment decreased Alabama's representation in the United States Congress.

History

By the 1890s the growth of Birmingham, Alabama, coupled with overall growth of Alabama's population, increased the number of representatives in the United States house from Alabama to nine.

It was decided to draw the new ninth district primarily from Jefferson County but also to include a few more rural counties to the south. In the first election in the district over 29,000 votes were cast. This was the most votes in any Alabama Congressional district.

It lost some area to the 6th district in 1902.

In 1916, redistricting again occurred, which reduced the ninth district to only include Jefferson County. These boundaries remained essentially the same until the district was dissolved in 1962.

Population Disparity

By the early 1940s the 9th district had a population of 459,930.[1] This was 103,000 more people than the next largest district, and 209,000 more people than lived in the neighboring 6th district. By the 1950s there were 558,928 people in the ninth district and 250,726 in the 6th district. From 1932 through 1962 the state of Alabama did not reapportion its congressional districts.

List of representatives

Representative Party Years District home Notes
District created March 4, 1893
Louis W. Turpin Democratic March 4, 1893 - March 3, 1895 Redistricted from the 4th district
Oscar W. Underwood Democratic March 4, 1895 - June 9, 1896 Birmingham Election successfully contested by Truman Heminway Aldrich
Truman Heminway Aldrich Republican June 9, 1896 – March 3, 1897 Birmingham Retired
Oscar W. Underwood Democratic March 4, 1897 - March 3, 1915 Birmingham Retired to run for U.S. Senate
George Huddleston Democratic March 4, 1915 - January 3, 1937
Luther Patrick Democratic January 3, 1937 - January 3, 1943
John P. Newsome Democratic January 3, 1943 -January 3, 1945
Luther Patrick Democratic January 3, 1945 - January 3, 1947
Laurie C. Battle Democratic January 3, 1947 - January 3, 1955
George Huddleston, Jr. Democratic January 3, 1955 - January 3, 1963 Redistricted to the At-large district
District inactive January 3, 1963 – Present

Historical Boundaries

Census Year Population Counties
1890 181,085 Bibb, Blount, Hale, Jefferson, Perry
1900 213,820 Bibb, Blount, Jefferson, Perry
1910 226,476 Jefferson
1920 310,054
1930 431,493
1940 459,930
1950 558,928

References

  • Population data from U.S. Census Bureau: Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990
  • Additional population data and counties from the Official Congressional Directories of the 53rd Congress (1893); 58th Congress (1903); 81st Congress (1950); and 83rd Congress (1953).
  • Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present

Coordinates: 33°29′11.17″N 86°52′47.58″W / 33.4864361°N 86.8798833°W / 33.4864361; -86.8798833


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.