World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Alameda Works Shipyard

Article Id: WHEBN0010306995
Reproduction Date:

Title: Alameda Works Shipyard  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Alameda, California, National Register of Historic Places listings in Alameda County, California, History of Alameda County, California, Alameda Theatre (Alameda, California), Neptune Beach (California)
Collection: Buildings and Structures in Alameda, California, Defunct Shipbuilding Companies of the United States, History of Alameda County, California, Industrial Buildings and Structures on the National Register of Historic Places in California, Manufacturing Plants in the United States, National Register of Historic Places in Alameda County, California, Shipyards of the United States, World War II on the National Register of Historic Places
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Alameda Works Shipyard

Alameda Works Shipyard
Alameda County, California
Union Iron Works Powerhouse
Type Shipyard
Site history
Built 1900s
In use 1900s–1956
Battles/wars
Union Iron Works Powerhouse
Alameda Works Shipyard is located in California
Alameda Works Shipyard
Location Alameda, California
Coordinates
Governing body Private
NRHP Reference # 80000793[1]

The Alameda Works Shipyard, in Alameda, California, United States, was one of the largest and best equipped shipyards in the country. The only building remaining from the yard is the Union Iron Works Powerhouse, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Union Iron Works Powerhouse 2
  • Footnotes 3
  • References 4

History

Established in the early 1900s by the United Engineering Company, the yard was purchased by Union Iron Works (later called Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation) in 1916 and came to be known as the Alameda Works.

The site was expanded from 7 acres (2.8 ha) to 75 acres (30 ha) with facilities for constructing up to six major vessels simultaneously. After 1923, the Alameda Works ceased making ships but continued its dry docking and ship repair operations.

At the beginning of World War II, the Alameda Works was re-established as the Bethlehem Alameda Shipyard, and modernized and expanded to include new shipways and on-site worker housing. During the war, the yard repaired more than 1,000 vessels and produced P-2 Admiral-type troop ships, and it continued to produce structural steel. Shipbuilding came to an end in the early 1950s, and the yard was closed in 1956.

Union Iron Works Powerhouse

This power station was designed by San Francisco architect Frederick Meyer, one of many designed for the Pacific Gas and Electric Company in Northern California between 1905 and the 1920s. It is a one-story rectangular industrial building, 25 feet (7.6 m) high, 53 feet (16 m) wide and 110 feet (34 m) long, that rests on a concrete base. Designed in a simplified Renaissance Revival style, the powerhouse is an excellent example of a building type-the "beautiful" power house-for which the San Francisco Bay Area was nationally known. It contained several large generators and was constructed specifically to meet the massive electricity requirements of the yards.

Today, the little building that once powered an entire shipyard has been converted into private office space and is closed to the public.

Footnotes

  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  

References

  • "Union Iron Works Powerhouse". World War II in the San Francisco Bay Area.  
  • Corbett, Michael; Welden, Margaret (24 September 1979). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory—Nomination Form / Union Iron Works Powerhouse" (pdf).  
    • "Accompanying Photos" (pdf).  


 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the National Park Service.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.