World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Aqua Alsietina

Article Id: WHEBN0015404295
Reproduction Date:

Title: Aqua Alsietina  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Roman aqueducts, List of aqueducts in the city of Rome, De aquaeductu, Gadara Aqueduct, Raschpëtzer Qanat
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Aqua Alsietina

In Ancient Rome, the Aqua Alsietina (sometimes called Aqua Augusta) was the earliest of the two western Roman aqueducts, erected somewhere around 2BC, during the reign of emperor Augustus. It was the only water supply for the Transtiberine region (the right bank of the river Tiber).

This aqueduct acquired water mainly from a lake just north of Rome called Lacus Alsietinus (a small lake in southern Etruria, currently known as Lago di Martignano) and some from lacus Sabatinus (Lago di Bracciano). The length of this mainly subterranean aqueduct was 22,172 paces (about 32.8 km) and had 358 arches. Its water supply had a diameter of 392 quinariae (about 9 m).

An example of an ancient Roman naumachium

This water was not suitable for drinking, however, and emperor Augustus used it to fill his naumachia in Trastevere. This water supply allowed emperor Augustus and the public to enjoy sham naval battles. The water surplus was used for the irrigation of Caesar's horti (gardens) and for the irrigation of fields. Such an abundant supply of water gives an idea how much water Rome had at its disposal.

In his chief work (written in 97 CE) De aquis urbis Romae (published in two books), containing a history and description of the water-supply of Rome, Sextus Julius Frontinus ascribes only a meager volume to the Aqua Alsietina. This makes sense, if the naumachia was no longer in use in his time (second half of the first century CE).

Some traces of this aqueduct were discovered in 1720. An inscribed stone slab was found in 1887 near the Via Claudia. It is the only written record of the Aqua Alsietina.

The fountain of the Acqua Paola in Rome, built under Pope Paul V announces wrongly on its triumphal arch that "Paul V restored the ancient ducts of the Aqua Alsietina. ". Actually the engineers had rebuilt the old Aqua Traiana, which had run close to the Aqua Alsietina.

References

  • Samuel Ball Platner - A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, London: Oxford University Press, 1929

External links

  • Aqua Alsietina
  • Photo of the ruins


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.