World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Areni Church


Areni Church

Surb Astvatsatsin Church of Areni
Արենիի Սուրբ Աստուածածին եկեղեցի
S. Astvatsatsin Church at Areni (southern and western façades)
Areni Church is located in Armenia
Areni Church
Shown within Armenia
Basic information
Location Areni, Vayots Dzor Province,  Armenia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Region Caucasus
Architectural description
Architect(s) Momik Vardpet
Architectural type Armenian; Church
Architectural style Domed-hall; single-nave two-aisles
Groundbreaking Late 13th-early 14th century
Completed 1321
Dome(s) 1

Surb Astvatsatsin of Areni (Armenian: Սուրբ Աստուածածին եկեղեցի; meaning the "Holy Mother of God Church"; also Areni Church Armenian: Արենիի եկեղեցի) is a single-nave two-aisled domed church completed in the year 1321. It is located atop a plateau overlooking the Arpa River and the village of Areni in the Vayots Dzor Province of Armenia.


  • Architecture 1
  • Gallery 2
  • See also 3
    • Bibliography 3.1
  • External links 4


S. Astvatsatsin is a domed-hall type church with a single drum and a conical umbrella type dome resting above. Two portals lead into the structure from the south and west. An effigy of the Virgin Mary is carved upon the tympanum in high-relief above the lintel of
Decorative tympanum above western entry depicting the Virgin Mary and Christ.
the west portal. This carving and many others that may be found on the church are considered to be masterpieces of artwork done by Momik Vardpet, who according to inscriptions was also the architect for the church. He is best known for his high-relief carvings at the monastery of Noravank, located approximately 6 kilometers southeast from Areni. Upon the tympanum above the lintel of the southern portal are the carvings of crosses.

In the center of the church interior, arched pendentives support the drum and dome above. High-relief carvings of mythical creatures adorn each of the four stone panels between the pendentives and base of the drum. Small vertical windows around the drum as well as small windows at each of the four façades let light into the main floor below. A semi-circular apse is located at the eastern wall of the structure and small "studies" or prayer rooms are adjacent on either side. The arched window above the apse is divided by a single column for decorative and structural purposes.

Some interesting tombstones and khachkars may be seen adjacent to the church. Nearby are also the 13th century ruins of lord Tarsaitch Orbelian of Syunik's palace, moved from Yeghegis to Areni during that time. Ruins of a 13th-century bridge built by Bishop Sarkis in 1265-1287 are to the northeast one kilometer. At the same location are the remains of an older bridge.


See also


  • Kiesling, Brady (2005), Rediscovering Armenia: Guide,  

External links

  • Areni Church
  • Church of Holy Virgin in Areni
  • Areni
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.