World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Arlington Street Church (Boston)

Article Id: WHEBN0012409576
Reproduction Date:

Title: Arlington Street Church (Boston)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Unitarian Universalism, Religion and sexuality, Hilary Putnam, 1861 in architecture, Dana McLean Greeley, James Luther Adams
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Arlington Street Church (Boston)

Arlington Street Church
Arlington St. Church, c. 1862. Photo by J.J. Hawes
Arlington Street Church
Location Arlington and Boylston Sts., Boston, Massachusetts
Coordinates

42°20′0″N 71°2′30″W / 42.33333°N 71.04167°W / 42.33333; -71.04167Coordinates: 42°20′0″N 71°2′30″W / 42.33333°N 71.04167°W / 42.33333; -71.04167

Area 0.5 acres (0.20 ha)
Built 1861
Architectural style Other, 18th-century English
Governing body Private
NRHP Reference # 73000313[1]
Added to NRHP May 4, 1973

Arlington Street Church is a Unitarian Universalist church located in Boston, Massachusetts. The congregation was founded in 1729 as the "Church of the Presbyterian Strangers", becoming independent in 1787, taking on a Congregational model. The congregation's building on Arlington Street in Back Bay was built in 1861; they were previously located in downtown Boston in Federal Street Church (Boston).

The Second Universalist Church of Boston merged its assets with Arlington Street Church in 1967. In so doing, Arlington Street Church inherited the thinking of two great liberal theologians, Hosea Ballou, called "father of American Universalism," and William Ellery Channing, called "father of American Unitarianism." On May 17, 2004, the Arlington Street Church was the site of the first state-sanctioned same-sex marriage in the United States.

The present church building


As the population of Boston grew and land became scarce, landfills were created in the North End, South End, and finally the Back Bay during the 1850s. When the area around Federal Street became commercial, the congregation adventurously voted to move to the Back Bay. Arlington Street Church was the first public building to be constructed on the newly filled land. The present building was begun in 1859 and dedicated in 1861. Designed by Arthur Gilman and Gridley James Fox Bryant, architects for the Old Boston City Hall, its exterior was inspired by St. Martin-in-the-Fields, London. The building is supported by 999 wooden pilings driven into the mud of Back Bay, and brownstone for its exterior was quarried in New Jersey. The bell tower stands 190 feet (58 meters) tall and contains a set of 16 bells, each with a Biblical inscription. It is one of only four sets in the city of Boston still rung by hand.

The church interior


The sanctuary, with its Corinthian columns and graceful rounded arches, was modeled after the Basilica della Santissima Annunziata del Vastato in Genoa, Italy. The panels on either side of the choir loft, containing the Ten Commandments and the Lord’s Prayer, were brought from the Federal Street Church, as was Dr. William Ellery Channing’s pulpit, which stands in the Hunnewell Chapel. The box pews, made of chestnut with black walnut rails, were at one time deeded to members of the congregation. Enclosing each pew signified that they were privately owned and kept drafts from blowing in from the aisles.

Originally, all of the sanctuary windows contained clear glass. In 1898 the congregation voted to install memorial stained glass windows created by the studios of Louis C. Tiffany. The last of the 16 windows was installed in 1930. The church archives contain designs for the four windows that were never installed, because the Tiffany Studios was liquidated in 1937 and thereafter new Tiffany windows were unobtainable.

The Aeolian-Skinner organ was installed in 1957.

Governance and association

Arlington Street Church is a member congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Association, a denomination created in 1961 by the consolidation of the American Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America. The denomination is organized on the basis of congregational church government. Each congregation is self-governing, deciding on its form of worship, professional and lay leadership, programs, and business. Congregations are members of the Unitarian Universalist Association and are united by a statement of Purposes and Principles. Each congregation elects delegates to a yearly General Assembly where they democratically vote on matters of denominational importance and on resolutions of social witness. Congregations are served by programs provided by the Association at the continental and regional levels.

Gallery

See also

References

External links

  • Arlington Street Church official website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.