World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Armour Heights

Article Id: WHEBN0026040426
Reproduction Date:

Title: Armour Heights  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of neighbourhoods in Toronto, Canada national cricket team, Lansing, Toronto, List of Anglican churches in Toronto
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Armour Heights

Armour Heights
Neighbourhood

Homes in Armour Heights
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto Toronto

Armour Heights is a neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario, in the district of North York. It is bounded by Wilson Avenue to the south, Bathurst Street to the west, and the west branch of the Don River to the north and east. Highway 401 cuts through the centre of the neighbourhood.

The area is named after John Armour, a farmer who was granted a concession to the area sometime before 1837. He sold the eastern part of his land to the Hogg brothers in the middle of the nineteenth century, and it later became Hogg's Hollow. The rest of his property remained in the Armour family until just before the First World War when it was purchased by developer and speculator Colonel F.B. Robins.[1] Robbins built a large estate for himself named Strathrobyn, but his development plans were put on hold by the war. He decided to loan out the lands to the military and an air training facility was established. It mostly trained American pilots and among other figures saw Amelia Earhart work there.[2]

After the war the airfield became the base for Bishop-Barker Aeroplanes Limited, operated by war heroes Billy Bishop and William George Barker. It was at this site that Bishop had one of the most dangerous crashes of his career. The company folded in 1921 and the airfield was abandoned. Some development occurred during the 1920s, but the area was still too far from the centre of the city to attract many buyers.

The air force returned to the area in 1942 when it leased Strathrobyn as an officer's mess and training school. It remains in service today as the Canadian Forces College, one of the main officer training facilities of the Canadian Forces.

In the 1950s, some of the neighbourhood's streets were destroyed due to the construction of the 401. One of the major streets in Toronto, Avenue Road, terminates at the Armour Heights neighbourhood at Bombay Avenue. There is an Avenue Road/401 Parclo A4 interchange just south of Bombay Avenue.

The post-war years saw the steady development of the neighbourhood, and all the farmland was transformed into middle class suburban housing by the beginning of the 1970s. It has become an important Jewish area of Toronto. It is just to the east of Bathurst Manor the most Jewish neighbourhood in Toronto. Bathurst Street is lined with a number of Jewish stores and restaurants and synagogues such as Adath Israel. According to the 2001 census 12% of the population is Jewish[3] An important landmark is Toronto's Holocaust Memorial, which is located just north of the community in Earl Bales Park.

References

Coordinates: 43°44′35″N 79°25′44″W / 43.743°N 79.429°W / 43.743; -79.429

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.