World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Arts Club

Article Id: WHEBN0002669542
Reproduction Date:

Title: Arts Club  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: George Henry Boughton, Brotherhood of Ruralists, Dover Street, Neil Lawson Baker, Eccentric Club, Talbot Hughes
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Arts Club

This article is about the British members' club. For the Vancouver, Canada theatre company, see Arts Club Theatre Company.
The Arts Club
Formation 1863
Type The Arts, Literature & Science
Headquarters London, England
Location 40 Dover Street, Mayfair, London W1S 4NP
President Sir Peter Blake
Affiliations Authors' Club
Website http://www.theartsclub.co.uk

The Arts Club is a London private members club founded in 1863 by, amongst others, Charles Dickens, Anthony Trollope, and Lord Leighton in Dover Street, Mayfair, London, England. Today it is a meeting place for men and women involved in the creative arts either professionally or as patrons.

History

The Arts Club was a hub of the arts during the 19th-century and, although a social venue, it was known to be a place where influence could be exerted and careers developed. It was seen as the powerhouse behind the dealings of the Royal Academy. Its members and guests included Dickens, Millais, Whistler, Kipling, Monet, Rodin, Degas and Turgenev. As early as 1891, James Whistler, one of the Arts Club's leading members, broke away to found the rival Chelsea Arts Club.

The Arts Club has continued to provide a forum and meeting place for those involved in all the arts. The visual arts predominate the professional artists amongst today's membership; the vast majority of Royal Academicians still present amongst the members. Members not professionally active as artists include art dealers, gallery owners, artists' agents, as well as those who simply have an amateur or recreational interest in the arts.

Various scandals undermined the club during the last century, including the disappearance of the club's extensive collection of first-edition books and silver during refurbishments (the crates when opened were full of bricks) as well as fifty artworks from its collection.

The Club was completely refurbished in 2011/12.

Clubhouse

The original club premises were at 17 Hanover Square, Mayfair. After thirty years there, the club moved nearby to its current accommodation, an 18th-century townhouse at 40 Dover Street, Mayfair, just north of the Ritz Hotel on Piccadilly, formerly the London home of the family of the Baron Stanley of Alderley. It was badly bombed in the Blitz and extensively rebuilt.

Membership

Current membership includes a number of Royal Academicians, architects, musicians, actors and writers. HRH The Prince Philip is the Patron and Sir Peter Blake is the President of the Club. The Chairman of the Club is Gary Landesberg and the Chief Operating Officer is Remy Lyse. Current members include Grayson Perry, the photographer Tom Hunter, the actresses Gwyneth Paltrow and Kim Cattrall and also Ronnie Wood. Well known 'non-artist' members include Richard Attenborough, David Frost, Matthew Parris, and Henry Blofeld.

There are regular activities, recitals and lectures. The dress code is "comfortable". Suits and ties are not obligatory. Membership requirements are a participation or interest in art, literature or science. Members must be proposed and seconded by existing members.

As of 2012, the Club has no reciprocal clubs in the UK. However, a number of clubs outside the UK of similar character and prestige have reciprocal arrangements, including the Cercle de l'Union interalliée in Paris, the St. Botolph and Algonquin Clubs in Boston, the Cosmos Club in Washington DC, the Arts Club of Chicago and the Arts Club of Washington DC, and the Century Association, The Coffee House, National Arts Club and Salmagundi Club in New York.

References

  • Rogers, G. A. F. The Arts Club and its members (London: Truslove and Hanson, 1920).

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.