World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Attercliffe railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0007111106
Reproduction Date:

Title: Attercliffe railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Attercliffe Road railway station, Broughton Lane railway station, Nunnery engine shed, Chapeltown Central railway station, Ecclesfield East railway station
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Attercliffe railway station

Attercliffe Station remains in 2009, seen from the Sheffield Canal, with the floodlights of the former Don Valley Stadium in the background.
Place Attercliffe
Area City of Sheffield
Grid reference
Original company South Yorkshire Railway
Pre-grouping Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway,
Great Central Railway
Post-grouping London and North Eastern Railway
Platforms 2
August 1871 Station opened
26 September 1927 Station closed
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
UK Railways portal

Attercliffe railway station was built to serve the Parish of Attercliffe cum Darnall, then separated from but now part of the City of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.

The station was situated on the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway company's line between Woodburn Junction and Tinsley Junction which was served by trains between Sheffield Victoria, Barnsley and Rotherham Central. Access to the station was by a footpath from Worksop Road. At the station's opening this was the main road between Attercliffe (it left the main Sheffield-Rotherham road opposite the parish church), and Darnall. The station consisted of two platforms flanking the lines and these were linked by a subway.


The original station was opened in August 1871, closed on 31 December 1900 and replaced by a new structure which opened the following day. The station was closed on 26 September 1927 but is remembered by the "Station Hotel" on Attercliffe Road, a short distance away which had, or may still have, a fine pictorial sign depicting a station porter at work on the station.

Joining the Great Central Railway, it became part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923 only to close four years later.

Earthworks of the station platforms are still visible as is the subway, now bricked-up, from the towpath of the Sheffield Canal alongside which the railway runs.

Preceding station Disused railways Following station


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.