World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Avenue Victor-Hugo (Paris)

Article Id: WHEBN0022979215
Reproduction Date:

Title: Avenue Victor-Hugo (Paris)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Victor Hugo, Place Charles de Gaulle, Boulevard Périphérique, Victor Hugo (Paris Métro), Newbury Street, Lysius Salomon, Alice Pike Barney, William Kowalski, Michel Roux, Jr., Gardens of the French Renaissance
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Avenue Victor-Hugo (Paris)

Avenue Victor-Hugo is an avenue in the 16th arrondissement of Paris. It begins at place Charles de Gaulle (also known as the Étoile) and ends at place Tattegrain (becoming avenue Henri-Martin). It is one of the twelve avenues beginning at the Étoile, and the second longest of the twelve, after the avenue des Champs-Élysées.

Its junction with the Étoile is between those of the avenue Foch and avenue Kléber. It runs along the colline de Chaillot. Halfway along it is place Victor-Hugo and the Line 2 Metro station Victor Hugo. Originally named avenue de Saint-Cloud, it was renamed avenue Victor Hugo during the Second French Empire then after its resident Victor Hugo in 1881.

Crossing the whole northern part of the 16th arrondissement, over 1.825km from the Étoile to the Muette, it is an average of 36m wide (its first part, between the Étoile and the place Victor-Hugo, is wider than the second part, between place Victor Hugo and place Tattegrain). Planted with trees and decorated with a statue of its namesake at the junction with avenue Henri-Martin, it is one of the most prestigious avenues in Paris.

It includes several buildings by Pierre Humbert, such as numbers 122 and 167 (the latter built in 1911 for Humbert's family). Humbert also built number 124, on the site of the hôtel particulier where Victor Hugo spent his last days (having as his address "Mr Victor Hugo, In his avenue, in Paris").

The Avenue was renamed after Hugo on 28 February 1881 (the day after his 79th birthday). The 1907 building's magnificent façade won several prizes and includes a sculpture of Hugo's face by Fonquergne. The Haitian president Lysius Salomon died at number 3 on 19 October 1888.

See also

Coordinates: 48°52′08″N 2°17′00″E / 48.86889°N 2.28333°E / 48.86889; 2.28333

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.