World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

BFI Southbank

Article Id: WHEBN0030871138
Reproduction Date:

Title: BFI Southbank  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Monsters University, Ruskin Park, Jubilee Gardens, Lambeth, Cinema of the United Kingdom, London Eye
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

BFI Southbank

BFI Southbank
The second-hand book sale in front of BFI Southbank
old NFT logo

BFI Southbank (from 1951 to 2007 known as the National Film Theatre) is the leading repertory cinema in the UK, specialising in seasons of classic, independent and non-English language films and is operated by the British Film Institute.

History

The National Film Theatre was initially opened in a temporary building (the Telekinema) at the Festival of Britain in 1951 and moved to its present location in 1957, replacing the Thameside restaurant on the site. Subsequently, Southbank Centre expanded its buildings to meet the National Film Theatre from the south, while the Royal National Theatre now occupies the area to the north-east.

On 14 March 2007, the National Film Theatre was relaunched as BFI Southbank in considerably enlarged premises, taking over space that had been used by the Museum of the Moving Image. In addition to the three pre-existing auditoria, the complex now includes a studio, a médiathèque, gallery space, a shop, and a bar and restaurant run by Benugo.

Location and architectural details

It is sited below the southern end of Waterloo Bridge, forming part of the cultural complex on the South Bank of the River Thames in London. The site comprises three cinemas and studio space, as well as cafes and exhibition space. It also has a large bar area in the foyer where smaller performances are sometimes held.

See also

External links

  • BFI Southbank Home Page
  • "Under the Bridge of Films" (2007) Arts Hub UK - www.artshub.co.uk

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.