World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Badagry

Article Id: WHEBN0030876804
Reproduction Date:

Title: Badagry  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lagos, History of Lagos, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Henry Stanhope Freeman, Lagos State
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Badagry



Badagry
LGA and town
A chair market at Badagry in 1910.
A chair market at Badagry in 1910.
Badagry is located in Nigeria
Badagry
Badagry
Coordinates:
Country  Nigeria
State Lagos State
Area
 • Total 170 sq mi (441 km2)
Population (2006)
 • Total 241,093
Time zone WAT (UTC+1)
Website http://www.badagrygov.org/

Badagry (traditionally Gbagle) is a coastal town and local government area (LGA) in Lagos State, Nigeria. It is situated between Metropolitan Lagos, and the border with Benin at Seme. As of the preliminary 2006 census results, the municipality had a population of 241,093.[1]

Founding and early history

Nigeria's first Christian Mission in Badagry. This is located at the museum of slavery

Founded in the early 15th century on a lagoon off the Gulf of Guinea, its protected harbour led to the town becoming a key port in the export of slaves to the Americas, which were mainly to Salvador, Bahia in Brazil. From the 1840s, following the suppression of the slave trade, Badagry declined significantly, but became a major site of Christian mission work.Christianity as a religion of the white (so called) was first preached in Nigeria at Badagry in 1842 by Rev Bernard Freeman and he celebrated the first Christmas in Nigeria the following year. The site where Christianity was first preached then is now the "Agiya Tree Monument" beside the Badagry Town Hall.

The first educational system of Nigeria as a British colony started in Badagry where the first primary school was built and named "St. Thomas (ANGLICAN) Primary School in 1845. The first Secondary school in Badagry was built over one hundred years later called Badagry Grammar School in 1955 due misunderstanding between the Missionaries and the natives that made them leave the town unceremoniously. In 1863 the town was annexed by the United Kingdom and incorporated into the Lagos colony. In 1901 it became a part of Nigeria.

Badagry subsists largely on fishing and agriculture,and maintains a small museum of slavery.The town inhabits dwellers from all over the country doing different business in the town.Some trade in clothing, food items, used cars from overseas and other imported goods. The town is just few kilometers from Seme a border town to Republic of Benin and generates the highest Nigeria Customs duties income till date.

This is the building commonly called the first storey building in Nigeria, overlooking the Marina waterfront. It was built in 1842 by Rev Bernard Freeman and other missionaries. Although it was built thousands of years after the first story building was constructed in Nigeria, with many still standing multistorey buildings, the name has stuck.

In 2012, His Majesty, De Wheno Aholu Menu-Toyi I(OFR,LL.D, D.Litt, JP), The Akran of Badagry Kingdom, bestowed upon Mayor Dr. James L. Walls, Jr., President of the World Conference of Mayors a Chieftancy title has the "Yenawa of Badagry Kingdom". Making him the only living Chief from the Western world.

References

  1. ^ The area is led by a traditional chief, Akran De Wheno Aholu Menu - Toyi 1, who is also the permanent vice-chairman of obas and chiefs in Lagos State. Federal Republic of Nigeria Official Gazette, published 15 May 2007, accessed 8 July 2007

http://study.www.nannewsngr.com/section/general/foundation-calls-for-reburial-of-african-slaves-in-badagry

External links

  • Badagry Local Government

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.