World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Barnhill Arena

John Barnhill Arena
Former names Arkansas Fieldhouse (1954–1973)
Location 285 N Stadium Dr
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Coordinates
Owner Univ. of Arkansas
Operator Univ. of Arkansas
Capacity 10,000
Construction
Broke ground 1953
Opened 1954
Tenants

Arkansas Razorbacks basketball (1954-1993)

Arkansas Razorbacks
(Volleyball and Gymnastics)

Barnhill Arena is a 10,000-seat multipurpose arena in Fayetteville, Arkansas, now used primarily for volleyball. The arena opened in 1954 and was home to the University of Arkansas Razorbacks (men's) and Ladybacks (women's) basketball teams before they moved to Bud Walton Arena in 1993. Prior to that, the arena had been considered to be one of the toughest to play in, first in the Southwest Conference and then in the Southeastern Conference, especially when Nolan Richardson was coach; it earned the nickname "Barnhell Arena" because of its rabid student section. After the opening of the new arena, the university converted Barnhill Arena into a volleyball and gymnastics-specific facility, and the Ladybacks' volleyball and gymnastics teams have played there ever since. The arena is also occasionally used for special events, such as concerts, graduations, and speakers.

It was originally built as the Arkansas Fieldhouse and renamed in 1973 in honor of John Barnhill, the school's former head football coach and athletic director.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.