World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Basilica di Sant'Anastasia al Palatino

Article Id: WHEBN0003124711
Reproduction Date:

Title: Basilica di Sant'Anastasia al Palatino  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Godfried Danneels, James Francis McIntyre, John Morton (cardinal), Churches of Rome, Carlo Laurenzi
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Basilica di Sant'Anastasia al Palatino

Facade of Sant'Anastasia

Sant'Anastasia is a basilica church in Rome, Italy.

Sant'Anastasia was built in the late 3rd century - early 4th century, possibly by a Roman woman named Anastasia. The church is listed under the titulus Anastasiae in the acts of the 499 synod. Later the church was entitled to the martyr with the same name, Anastasia of Sirmium.

The church was restored several times: Pope Damasus I (366-383), Pope Hilarius (461-468), Pope John VII (705-707), Pope Leo III (795-816), and Pope Gregory IV (827-844). The current church dates back to the 17th century restoration commissioned by Pope Urban VII.

Traditionally, the church is connected to the cult of St Jerome, who possibly celebrated mass here. The saint is depicted over the altar, by Domenichino.

Titular Cardinal Priests

The current Cardinal Priest of the Titulus S. Anastasiae is Godfried Danneels. Past holders have included Boso, a Bishop of Turin, and John Morton, an Archbishop of Canterbury.

Art and architecture

The last restoration, after the restoration during the papacy of Sixtus IV, occurred in 1636, when the facade, with lower doric and upper ionic order, was reconstructed in 1636, after the cyclone of 1634. The nave recycles antique columns. The ceiling is frescoed with a martyrdom of the saints (1722) by Michelangelo Cerruti.

The chapel to the right, has a painting of St. John the Baptist by Etienne Parrocel.

References

  • "Sant'Anastasia"

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.