World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Beauchief railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0004454336
Reproduction Date:

Title: Beauchief railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sheffield District Railway, Millhouses and Ecclesall railway station, Attercliffe Road railway station, Midland Main Line, West Tinsley railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Beauchief railway station

Beauchief
Beauchief station in 1961
Location
Place Beauchief
Area City of Sheffield
Coordinates
Grid reference SK328822
Operations
Pre-grouping Midland Railway
Post-grouping LMSR
London Midland Region of British Railways
Platforms 2/4
History
1 February 1870 Opened as Abbey Houses
1 April 1870 renamed Beauchief
1 May 1874 renamed Beauchief and Abbey Dale
1901–3 Expanded to four platforms
19 March 1914 renamed Beauchief
2 January 1961 Closed [1]
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Beauchief railway station (pronounced Beechif) was in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. The station served the communities of Beauchief, Woodseats and Ecclesall and was situated on the Midland Main Line between Millhouses railway station and Dore & Totley station, near Abbeydale Road South in Beauchief. The station was originally called Abbey Houses and later Beauchief & Abbey Dale station.

The station was opened on the site of Hutcliffe Mill [1] at the same time as the main line from Chesterfield. At opening it had 2 platforms but this was increased to 4 with the widening which took place between 1901 and 1903. It closed on 1 January 1961, and the site is now occupied by a hotel, although the nearby Abbeydale Station Hotel survives as the Beauchief Hotel.

The Beauchief Hotel, formerly the Abbeydale Station Hotel

References

  1. ^ Butt, R.V.J., (1995) The Directory of Railway Stations, Yeovil: Patrick Stephens

External links

  • Beauchief station on navigable O.S. map
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.