World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bernay, Eure

Article Id: WHEBN0003100957
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bernay, Eure  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Morsan, Pays d'Ouche, Pascal Jules, Everdon Priory, Subprefectures in France
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bernay, Eure

Bernay
Hôtel de la Gabelle
Hôtel de la Gabelle
Coat of arms of Bernay
Coat of arms
Bernay is located in France
Bernay
Bernay
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Upper Normandy
Department Eure
Arrondissement Bernay
Canton Bernay-Est, Bernay-Ouest
Intercommunality Bernay et ses environs
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Hervé Maurey (NC)
Area1 24.03 km2 (9.28 sq mi)
Population (2008)2 10,480
 • Density 440/km2 (1,100/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 27056 / 27300
Elevation 87–173 m (285–568 ft)
(avg. 108 m or 354 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Bernay is a commune in the west of the Eure department about 50km from Évreux in northern France. The city is in the Pays d'Ouche and the Lieuvin. On its territory run the Charentonne, a tributary of the Risle, and the Cosnier.

History

The etymological origin of Bernay indicates that it is a marshy place, which comes as no surprise since it is built at the place where the River Charentonne meets an incline ("les Monts"). The Cosnier is an important tributary of the River Charentonne.

Between 996 and 1008 the duke of Normandy, Richard II offered this area in dowry to his wife, Judith of Brittany, who built a Benedictine abbey at once. The monks used the rivers flowing through the area for industry, for example cleansing, mills, fisheries. An abbey was built and it remains a jewel of the Norman Romanesque architecture. To cover the expenses and to assure their protection, the monks yielded a part of their property in 1048.

The town's cloth industry is famous, and it has many fairs (the "Foire Fleurie" at the time of Palm Sunday is memorable), because of the diversity and the abundance of the agricultural produce of the area. Bernay holds a big market each Saturday, which takes over much of the old part of the town. The veneration of "Notre-Dame de la Couture" (13th century) is the starting-point of important pilgrimages which attract people from all Normandy; the diocesan Marian pilgrimage still takes place each Whit Monday.

During the 19th century the road system was developed to modernize the city, and the evolution of industry moved towards the outskirts of the town. This development continued during last century, with the arrival of new industries and the considerable extension of Bernay on the slopes overhanging the traditional centre, which has remained faithful to its origins.

During World War II, the city escaped the Canadian bombardment in August 1944 thanks to a thick layer of cloud, thus preserving the attractive but unremarkable historical centre.

Population

Timber framed house in Bernay

Celebrities related to the town

International relations

See also

References

  • INSEE

Further reading

Public Domain 


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.