World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bira gun

Article Id: WHEBN0011089053
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bira gun  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Martini-Henry, Mitrailleuse, Gardner gun, .577/450 Martini-Henry, Bira, Nordenfelt gun
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bira gun

Bira gun
Type Machine gun
Place of origin    Nepal
Service history
In service Royal Nepalese Army
Production history
Designer Gehendra Shamsher Jang Bahadur Rana
Produced 1896–1897
Specifications
Cartridge .577/450 Martini-Henry
Caliber 0.577 in (14.7 mm)
Barrels 2
Action Reverse Gardner Action

The Bira gun was a .577/450 Martini-Henry calibre machine gun designed and manufactured in Nepal during the latter part of the 19th century. It was a development of, and based upon, the American Gardner gun. It was double barreled, but fed through an overhead drum magazine similar to the later Lewis gun. The Bira gun was never deployed operationally.

Invented by the Nepalese General Gehendra Shamsher Jang Bahadur Rana (1871–1905) and similar in some respects to the American Gardner (especially in the reciprocating bolts), the internal mechanism of the Bira Gun is actually quite different in a number of ways, especially as it is hand-crank fired—but the handle is rotated counterclockwise, as this was found more reliable than the usual clockwise rotation of most other mechanical guns such as the Gatling gun and Nordenfeldt gun. Bira Guns were manufactured in 1896–97 and are literally handmade, with few parts from one interchangeable with those on another. They were apparently never used in battle but are interesting artifacts in that they were built at a time when fully automatic machine guns, such as the Maxim, had been developed and were becoming increasingly common.

See also

External links

  • http://www.cannonsuperstore.com/New_Folder9/DSC001071.JPG


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.