World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bradford Festival Choral Society

Article Id: WHEBN0019507208
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bradford Festival Choral Society  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Great Horton Road (Cricket Ground), Heaton Woods, Trident, West Yorkshire, Keighley Picture House, Bradford City Park
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bradford Festival Choral Society

Bradford Festival Choral Society was founded as a direct result of the opening of William Jackson who had been the highly successful trainer of the chorus for both festivals. The choir sang and rehearsed at the Hall and soon gained the nickname of the “Coffee and Bun Society” as refreshments were provided for those members travelling from a distance. This arrangement was also intended to discourage possible visits to licensed premises before rehearsal!

The choir's rise to fame was so rapid that it was summoned to sing before Peel Park before the end of what must have been its annus mirabilis.

The next festival featuring the choir took place in 1859 and was an artistic success but, as is so often the case, was not very rewarding in financial terms. As a result, the next festival was postponed and eventually cancelled. No more triennial festivals took place in Bradford.

Without festivals, the choir settled down to a regular routine of concerts in St George's Hall, the equilibrium only shattered by the sudden and much lamented death of its conductor William Jackson in 1866. Such was the esteem in which he was held that the Society undertook all the funeral arrangements and was also responsible for the monument in Undercliffe Cemetery and also the one in Masham – Jackson's birthplace. Performances of Jackson’s oratorio, The Deliverance of Israel from Babylon, were given to raise money for these projects.

Shortly after this, in 1870, the close association with St George’s Hall was relaxed and, although the Hall remained the venue for concerts, rehearsals moved to the Mechanics’ Institute, where they remained for the next 100 years until the building was demolished.

In 1906 the choir was eagerly planning, in spite of great financial problems, celebrations for its Golden Jubilee. Fortuitously, an invitation was received from the London Philharmonic Society to sing in the Queen’s Hall. The Chairman, Henry J Mason, generously offered to fund the trip and 323 singers left by special train, reputed to be (at 200 yards long) the longest train ever to leave Bradford. The concert, consisting of the double motet Sing ye to the Lord (Bach) and Beethoven’s Choral Symphony, was greeted with acclaim and the choir returned home at 4am, no doubt exhausted.

In Bradford, the choir enjoyed celebratory concerts and a grand ball in St George’s Hall. It was also during this jubilee year that it was presented with an original Schubert masterpiece by a former President, Mr W. M. Hertz. This manuscript was later almost forgotten until it was rediscovered by the librarian at the time of the centenary and subsequently deposited in the Bradford Archives. In 2005 it was deemed necessary to realise all possible assets in order to continue the work of the Society and the manuscript was sold.

The 20th century led to great changes. The Society survived two World Wars with attendant problems of a lack of male singers and of blackout restrictions. BBC, to celebrate the opening. In the same year, the choir had a great artistic triumph when it featured in the first live performance of Janáček’s Glagolitic Mass in Leeds Town Hall.

It was greatly appreciated that the centenary season could be held back in ‘the old home’ and celebratory concerts and a dinner were held. The Society was set fair for another 100 years.

This certainly seemed the case as Sir David Willcocks (or Mr Willcocks as he then was) took up the baton as the Society’s conductor. During the time of his appointment he had a real rapport with the choir and many were the successes over which he presided. Two performances of Britten’s War Requiem, in 1964 and 1967, are particularly remembered. It was greatly appreciated that when Sir David Willcocks had to relinquish his position 17 years later, he still returned for many years to preside over the annual Carol Concert.

Other eminent conductors have been Sir Charles Groves, who conducted a memorable performance of DeliusA Mass of Life, Richard Hickox, David Lloyd Jones, Brian Kay and guest conductors such as John Rutter, Meredith Davies, Sir John Barbirolli and many others. Most of the great works in the choral repertoire have been performed and the choir has never flinched from singing contemporary works by Bliss, Julius Harrison, John Rutter, David Fanshawe and Peter Maxwell Davies to name but a few.

Recent years

Today Bradford Festival Choral Society is Bradford's largest choir and one of the biggest in the North of England. With a current singing membership of around 100 voices the choir performs all the major works in the choral repertoire at St George's Concert Hall and other venues in the Bradford area. The choir enjoys a busy season of concerts including major programmes in November and early Spring, concerts in the summer and at Christmas as well as Bradford's traditional Christmas performance of Handel's Messiah.

Since 2008 the choir has been enjoying a revival under the baton of its young and dynamic Musical Director Thomas Leech, who has led the choir into new musical territory while constantly encouraging excellent performances of choral classics. Choir membership and audience attendance continues to grow as the society re-establishes itself amongst the leading choral societies in the north of England. Recent performances have included the opening concert of the revived Bradford Festival in July 2013, traditional choral works, collaborations with living composers (including Duncan Druce - Mozart Requiem completion - and Will Todd - Mass in Blue), community projects (several long-term 'Learn to Sing' courses) and of course the core choral repertoire.

External links

  • Bradford Festival Choral Society
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.