World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brant South

Article Id: WHEBN0001787255
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brant South  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of Ontario by-elections, Edmund Burke Wood, 8th Canadian Parliament, List of Members of the Canadian House of Commons (H), Brant North
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brant South


Brant South was a federal and provincial electoral district in Ontario, Canada, that was represented in the Canadian House of Commons from 1867 to 1904, and in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 1867 to 1923.

It was also called the South Riding of Brant. Brant County was named after Joseph Brant, a Mohawk Chief originally from New York State who settled the area, centred on Brantford.

Federal electoral district

The federal riding was created by the British North America Act of 1867 which divided the county of Brant into two ridings: Brant North and Brant South according to a traditional division. In 1882, the South Riding of Brant was defined to consist of the townships of West Brantford, Onondaga and Tuscarora, the city of Brantford and the town of Paris.

The electoral district was abolished in 1903 when it was merged into Brantford riding.

The first Member of Parliament for Brant South, elected in 1867 was Edmund Burke Wood. Wood was also elected to the Provincial Parliament. Eventually an act was passed to abolish dual representation.

In 1872, the Liberal candidate, William Paterson (a biscuit manufacturer) won the riding, and remained Member of Parliament until 1896, when he was defeated by Robert Henry (a grocer, and Conservative).

This election was declared void, and in a by-election Charles Bernhard Heyd (a Liberal, and also a grocer) won the riding. Heyd held the riding until it was abolished in 1903.

Provincial electoral district

The provincial riding was also created in 1867.

The first Member of the Legislative Assembly for Brant South was Edmund Burke Wood. Wood was also elected to the

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.