Breach candy

Breach Candy
Neighbourhood
250px
Breach Candy
Breach Candy
Location in Mumbai, India

Coordinates: 18°58′01″N 72°48′18″E / 18.967°N 72.805°E / 18.967; 72.805Coordinates: 18°58′01″N 72°48′18″E / 18.967°N 72.805°E / 18.967; 72.805

Country  India
State Maharashtra
Metro Mumbai
Languages
 • Official Marathi
Time zone IST (UTC+5:30)

Bhulabhai Desai Road, better known as Breach Candy or Warden Road, is a niche up-market residential and semi-commercial locality of South Mumbai. Breach Candy name is originated from corruption of Hindustani word "Burj-Khadi".[1]

The area has many famous landmarks throughout its long and winding stretch, from the Breach Candy Hospital to the Amarsons and Tata gardens and United States Consulate. There's the elite Breach Candy club with the country's largest India-shaped swimming pool. Just off Bhulabhai Desai Road is the women-only Sophia College.

The 18th century Mahalaxmi Temple, which honors the Hindu goddess of wealth and wisdom, is closely situated on the edge of sea. It is one of the most famous temples of Mumbai and attracts millions of devotees and tourists each year.

The area falls under the 'D-Ward' of the Bombay Municipal Corporation and shares the postal code 400 026 under the Cumballa Hill post office. It lies 21 kilometers south of Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport and just 2 kilometers from the Mumbai Central station. It is well connected by local buses run by BEST.

Geographically, this road curls around the Arabian Sea. Because of its picturesque location, real estate prices here are among the most expensive in the country.

History

Not long ago, Breach Candy was sparsely populated with very few bungalows and mansions. Most of the residents were born into old money. Some of these bungalows and mansions still stand. The Breach Candy House, the Breach Candy Swimming Club and the Breach Candy Hospital have been present since the time of British rule. Breach Candy name is originated from corruption of Hindustani word "Burj-Khadi".[2]

At the northern foot of the Cumballa Hill, in the part now called Breach Candy, was a temple to three goddesses—Mahakali, Mahalakshmi and Mahasaraswati. A creek to the north separated the island of Bombay from the Koli island of Worli. This creek was filled after the completion of the Hornby Vellard in 1784. Soon after, the modern temple of Mahalakshmi was built here.

What are now the Amarson and Tata gardens were landfills with abandoned construction trucks, cranes and bulldozers probably used in land reclamation projects. A few of these trucks were parked in a truck-sized garage behind Scandal Point. Similarly, trucks, cranes and bulldozers were seen abandoned on the land which is now known as Priyadarshini Park.

Notable residents

Education

Important numbers

Picture links

  • Gordon Gibbons Photographs of Breach Candy 1937-1940
  • Farhad's Picture Gallery of Breach Candy

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.