World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brighton Football Club

Article Id: WHEBN0012688335
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brighton Football Club  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Victorian Football League, Keith Miller, 1899 VFL season, Harry Vallence, Harold Rumney, Lindsay Fox, Perfect season, Interchange (Australian rules football), List of VFA/VFL premiers, Toorak Park
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Brighton Football Club

For the rugby club in England, see Brighton Football Club (RFU). For the association football club in England, see Brighton & Hove Albion F.C.. For the Tasmanian football club, see Brighton Football Club (Tasmania).
Full name Brighton Football Club
Nickname(s) Penguins
Club details
Founded 1885, merged with Caulfield Football Club in 1962 and renamed Brighton Caulfield
Colours      Light Blue and      Dark Blue (1885–1911),      Red and      White (1912–1945),      Maroon and      gold (1946–1964)[1]
Competition Victorian Football Association 1908–1964
Ground(s) Brighton Beach Oval
Elsternwick Park

Brighton Football Club was an Australian rules football club which played in the Victorian Football Association (VFA). The club was based in the Melbourne suburb of Brighton and were nicknamed the Penguins. They wore maroon and gold guernseys before the club moved to Caulfield and later became the Caulfield Bears in the early to mid-1960s, previously wearing red and white.


The club is believed to have been formed in 1885 and seven years later became a foundation member of the Metropolitan Junior Football Association. They won a premiership in 1903 during their sixteen years in the league and in 1908 joined the VFA as one of the teams to replace Richmond, who had shifted to the Victorian Football League (VFL), and West Melbourne, who had merged with North Melbourne in a failed attempt to do the same. During this time, Brighton played its home matches at the Brighton Beach Oval, before shifting to Elsternwick Park in 1926.[1]

Brighton first played finals football in the VFA 1926 with help from former Fitzroy player Gordon Rattray who coached the club. They made it all the way to the grand final before losing to Coburg, the club that would beat them again in the grand final the following season. They were runner-up in 1938 but went on to claim the premiership in 1948.

In 1948, under the coaching of Col Williamson, they had finished the home and away season in third place and after defeating Brunswick in the preliminary final they qualified for the decider against Williamstown, whom they downed by nine points.

The club struggled throughout the 1950s and lost occupancy of their home ground at Elsternwick Park just before the 1962 season was to begin. As a result they were forced to relocate to Caulfield and merged with a local club called South Caulfield. They competed under the name of Brighton-Caulfield from 1962. In 1965 the word 'Brighton' was removed from the club's name after pressure from the Caulfield Council and replaced their Penguin emblem with that of a Bear.

VFA premierships

  • 1948

Notable players


External links

  • Fullpointsfooty
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.