World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bronx Park

 

Bronx Park

South end of Bronx Park
Bronx Park is number 3 on this map of parks and greenspace.

Bronx Park, laid out 718 acres (2.91 km2) along the Bronx River in the Bronx, New York City, is the home of the New York Botanical Garden and the Bronx Zoo. Bicycle paths go northwest, north, and east, along Mosholu Parkway, Bronx River Parkway, and Pelham Parkway respectively. The east end of Fordham Road is inside the park, at an interchange with the Pelham and Bronx River Parkways, and divides the park roughly in half, with the Botanical Garden occupying most of the north half and the Zoo most of the south. The Bronx River Parkway runs north / south near the eastern edge. The park is operated by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.

The park is bounded by Southern Boulevard, Webster Avenue, Burke Avenue, Bronx Park East, and 180th Street.

History

The land for Bronx Park was acquired with funds authorized by the 1884 New Parks Act. The original 640 acres (2.6 km2) were acquired in 1888-1889. The northernmost 250 acres (1.0 km2) were allocated in 1891 to the New York Botanical Society. Another 250 acres (1.0 km2) was allocated in 1898 to the New York Zoological Society. An additional 66 acres (270,000 m2) were acquired in 1906, at the southeast end of the park; this area is now known as Ranaqua, and is where the Parks headquarters is located.

External links

  • New York City web site
  • Ranaqua web page

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.