World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cappy, Somme

Article Id: WHEBN0015518788
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cappy, Somme  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Somme department, Cappy, Arrondissement of Péronne, Froissy Dompierre Light Railway
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Cappy, Somme


Coordinates: 49°55′44″N 2°45′32″E / 49.9289°N 2.7589°E / 49.9289; 2.7589Coordinates: 49°55′44″N 2°45′32″E / 49.9289°N 2.7589°E / 49.9289; 2.7589

Country France
Region Picardy
Department Somme
Arrondissement Péronne
Canton Bray-sur-Somme
Intercommunality Pays du Coquelicot
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Didier Degrendel
 • Land1 11.91 km2 (4.60 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 538
 • Population2 density 45/km2 (120/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80172 / 80340
Elevation 36–96 m (118–315 ft)
(avg. 65 m or 213 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Cappy is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.


Cappy is situated on the D1 road, some 20 miles (32 km) east of Amiens, by the banks of the river Somme.


  • Two Roman villas have been found within the boundaries of the commune.
  • Known as "Capiacum" in 887, from the earlier name "Caput Loci" which suggests a fortress was built to defend the passage of the Somme.
  • In the 10th century, the village had a priory. Robert I of Péronne was the seigneur.
  • In 1260, Cappy was one of 25 Picardie towns to receive its charter from Louis IX.
  • In 1373, The priory, the village and the château were destroyed by the Earl of Warwick.
  • The village was also pillaged during the wars with Spain.


Historical population of Cappy, Somme
Year 1962196819751982199019992006
Population 529549513510484485538
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.


  • Saint-Nicolas church, built in the lower village. The tower dates from 1654. Partially rebuilt in 1920, after the battles of 1916.
  • The railway museum 'Chemin de fer Froissy-Dompierre'.

See also



External links

  • Cappy historical website (French)
  • Cappy on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.