World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Carlo Felice Nicolis, conte di Robilant

Article Id: WHEBN0000806288
Reproduction Date:

Title: Carlo Felice Nicolis, conte di Robilant  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: People by year/Reports/No other categories/2, Italian diplomats, Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Italian generals, Marietta Alboni
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Carlo Felice Nicolis, conte di Robilant

Carlo Felice Nicolis, conte di Robilant

Carlo Felice Nicolis, conte di Robilant (8 August 1826 – 17 October 1888), Italian statesman and diplomat, was a native of Turin.

Life

He entered the army, and lost his left hand at Novara, where he was aide-de-camp to Charles Albert, king of Piedmont. He fought in 1859, and reached the grade of general in the Austrian campaign of 1866, after which he served on the delimitation commission. He was chief of the Military Academy, and in 1867 was made prefect of Ravenna to suppress political disorder. He was defeated at Turin in the elections for the Chambrin in 1870, and was sent in 1871 as minister plenipotentiary to Vienna, where he subsequently became ambassador.[1]

He was connected with the Prussian nobility through his mother, he married an Austrian, a daughter of Prince Edmund Clary-Aldringen and granddaughter of Dolly de Ficquelmont. In spite of the active part he had taken in driving Austria from Italy, he was a persona grata in Vienna, and his policy was steadily directed to an alliance between the two powers. This was accomplished by the secret terms of the Triple Alliance in 1882. He was recalled to Rome in 1885 to become minister for foreign affairs in the Depretis cabinet.[1]

Robilant's independent attitude as foreign minister secured greater consideration for Italy from her allies, but he did not adapt himself to the exigencies of domestic politics, and his excessive unpopularity contributed to the downfall of the ministry on February 7,

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.