World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Carnota

Article Id: WHEBN0003743386
Reproduction Date:

Title: Carnota  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hórreo, Municipalities in A Coruña, List of municipalities in A Coruña, Abegondo, Frades, Galicia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Carnota

Concello de Carnota
Flag of Concello de Carnota
Flag
Official seal of Concello de Carnota
Seal
Situation of Carnota within Galicia
Situation of Carnota within Galicia
Government
 • Alcalde (Mayor) Ramón Noceda Caamaño (BNG)
Population (2005)
 • Total (INE)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CET (UTC+2)
Website www.concellodecarnota.com

Carnota is a municipality of northwestern Spain in the province of A Coruña, autonomous community of Galicia. It belongs to the comarca of Muros. It has an area of 66.4 km2, a population of 5,285 (2004 estimate) and a population density of 79.59 people/km2 It is famous because of its majestic hórreo, granary, the largest one in the world. It has a barrocan syle and is dated back to 1768. Carnota is also very famous for its more than 7 km long beach, the longest in all of Galicia. It is also said to be among the best 100 beaches in the world.

Its name could come from the pre-Celtic word of "carn", which means stone.

Limits

The municipality of Carnota borders on the north with the municipality of Dumbría, the northwest with Mazaricos, the west by the Atlantic, and south Muros.

History

There tombs and forts indicating that the area has been inhabited since antiquity. In the Middle Ages it belonged to the Counts of Trastámara and Lemos and was part of the old county of Cornatum. With the Great Irmandiña War of 1467 disappeared strengths. The location of the capital, Carnota, originated in the 17th century. In the 19th century, it was sacked by the French in the War of Spanish Independence.

Hórreo of Carnota

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.