World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Castelsardo

Article Id: WHEBN0006574331
Reproduction Date:

Title: Castelsardo  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of cities in Sardinia, Sassarese language, Kingdom of Sardinia, Sassari, Genoa
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Castelsardo

Castelsardo
Castheddu
Comune
Comune di Castelsardo
Castelsardo is located in Italy
Castelsardo
Castelsardo
Location of Castelsardo in Italy
Coordinates:
Country Italy
Region Sardinia
Province Sassari (SS)
Frazioni Lu Bagnu, Multeddu, San Giovanni, Terra Bianca
Government
 • Mayor Angelo Francesco Cuccureddu
Area
 • Total 45.48 km2 (17.56 sq mi)
Elevation 114 m (374 ft)
Population (30 November 2009)
 • Total 5,846
 • Density 130/km2 (330/sq mi)
Demonym Castellanesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 07031
Dialing code 079
Website Official website

Castelsardo (Sassarese: Castheddu, Sardinian: Casteddu Sardu) is a town and comune in Sardinia, Italy, located in the northwest of the island within the Province of Sassari, at the east end of the Gulf of Asinara.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Main sights 2
  • Gallery 3
  • References 4

History

Archaeological excavations have showed the human presence in the area of Castelsardo since pre-Nuragic and Nuragic times, as well as during the Roman domination in Sardinia.

After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, the monastery of Nostra Signora di Tergu was founded nearby, but the current town originates from the castle built here, in 1102 (or 1270), by the Doria family of Genoa. The castle and the village which gradually formed round it where the seat of the Doria's fiefdom in the island called Castel Doria or Castelgenovese, until it was conquered by the Aragonese in the 15th century (1448), and named Castillo Aragonés (Castel Aragonese). Except for the Maddalena archipelago, it was the last city in the island to join the Kingdom of Sardinia.

Castelsardo, now part of the Savoy's Kingdom of Sardinia, obtained its current name by will of King Charles Emmanuel III.

Main sights

  • Elephant's Rock, one of the symbols of Sardinia
  • Megalithic walls, from pre-Nuragic times
  • Nuraghe Paddaju and others
  • Doria Castle (1102)
  • Co-Cathedral, entitled to St. Anthony the Abbot. The crypts house the Museum "Maestro di Castelsardo";
  • Church of St. Mary, with a wooden Black Christ
  • Doria Palace
  • La Loggia Palace, town hall since 1111
  • Palace of Eleonora of Arborea
  • Sea walls

Gallery

References

  • CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Ampurias  


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.