World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chanderi District

 

Chanderi District

Chanderi District
चंदेरी जिला
District of British India

1844–1861
 

Flag of Chanderi District

Flag

Capital Lalitpur
History
 •  Ceded to the British by Maharaja Jayajirao Sindhia of Gwalior 1844
 •  Western part returned to Gwalior; eastern part renamed Lalitpur District 1861

Chanderi District was a former administrative district of British India. It covered most of present-day Lalitpur District of Uttar Pradesh state and the eastern portion of Ashoknagar District of Madhya Pradesh state.

History

Before 1811, the district was the state of Chanderi, and ruled by Bundela Rajputs descended from the kings of Orchha. Chanderi was annexed in 1811 by Maharaja Daulat Rao Sindhia of neighboring Gwalior in 1811. In 1844, the district was ceded to the British by Maharaja Jayajirao Sindhia of Gwalior, and the revenue from the district used to maintain a British force in Gwalior. Lalitpur was the administrative headquarters of the district.

The district was captured by rebels during the Indian Rebellion of 1857, and was not recaptured by the British until late in 1858. The portion of the district west of the Betwa River, including the town of Chanderi, was returned to Gwalior in 1861, and the portion east of the Betwa was renamed Lalitpur District.[1]

The British district of Lalitpur (1861-1891) had an area of 5,043 km² and a population of 294,088 in 1881. The main towns were Lalitpur (pop. 10,684 in 1881 and the only municipality) and Talbahat (5,293), the capitals of the two tehsils in which the district was divided. In 1891 Lalitpur district was merged into Jhansi district.[2] In 1974 it was reestablished as the Lalitpur District of Uttar Pradesh.

See also

References

  1. ^ Imperial Gazetteer of India, (New ed.), Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1908-1909. Vol. 10.
  2. ^  

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.