World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chatou

Article Id: WHEBN0003595970
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chatou  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Yona Friedman, Les Mureaux, Montigny-le-Bretonneux, Rambouillet, Versailles (city)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chatou

Chatou
Church of Notre-Dame in Chatou
Church of Notre-Dame in Chatou
Coat of arms of Chatou
Coat of arms
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Île-de-France
Department Yvelines
Arrondissement Saint-Germain-en-Laye
Canton Chatou
Intercommunality Boucle de la Seine
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Ghislain Fournier
Area1 5.08 km2 (1.96 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 29,962
 • Density 5,900/km2 (15,000/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 78146 / 78400
Elevation 22–58 m (72–190 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Chatou is a commune in the Yvelines department in the Île-de-France region in north-central France. Chatou is a part of the affluent suburbs of western Paris and is on the northwest side of the Seine river about 14 km (9 mi) from the city's Kilometre Zero.

History

On 31 May 1875, part of the territory of Chatou was detached and merged with a part of the territory of Le Pecq and a part of the territory of Croissy-sur-Seine to create the commune of Le Vésinet. It boasts many bourgeois mansions of every kind of architecture and owned by private individuals.

It is also the host of the Maison Fournaise, a meeting point for Impressionist painters in the past. It was a place where Pierre-Auguste Renoir painted numerous pieces (portraits of the Fournaise family, surrounding landscapes etc.), most notably the Déjeuner des canotiers (Luncheon of the Boating Party) in 1881.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.