World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Chazen Museum of Art

Humanities Building and Elvehjem Art Center
Chazen Museum of Art is located in Wisconsin
Chazen Museum of Art
Location 750 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin
Coordinates
Built 1969
Architect Harry Weese
Part of Bascom Hill Historic District (#74000065)
Designated CP September 12, 1974
Exhibition rooms (partial view)
Print by Utagawa Toyokuni in the museum collection

The Chazen Museum of Art is an art museum accredited by the American Alliance of Museums located at the University of Wisconsin–Madison in Madison, Wisconsin.

Until 2005 the Museum was known as the Elvehjem Museum of Art, in honour to Conrad Elvehjem, an internationally known biochemist in nutrition. In 1937 Elvehjem identified a molecule found in fresh meat and yeast as a new vitamin, nicotinic acid, now called niacin.[1] His discovery led directly to the cure of human pellagra, once a major health problem in the United States.

In May 2005 the Museum was renamed to Chazen Museum of Art after a $20 million donation from Simona and Jerome A. Chazen (one of the founders of Liz Claiborne and also UW–Madison alumnus) towards an expansion of the museum. The museum was supposed to raise the remaining $15 million required for the expansion. The building housing the museum retains the Elvehjem name.

The mission of the museum is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit works of art and present related educational programs in support of the teaching, research, and public service mission of the university.

European artists represented at this art museum include Klavdy Vasiliyevich Lebedev.

Chamber concerts known as Sunday Afternoon from the Chazen (formerly Live at the Elvehjem) have been broadcast from the museum by Wisconsin Public Radio for decades.

References

  1. ^ Koehn CJ, Elvehjem CA (1937-05-01). "Further studies on the concentration of the antipellagra factor". Journal of Biological Chemistry 118 (3): 693–699. 

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.