World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0009186073
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Cirencester Town railway station, Chalford railway station, Fairford railway station, Chipping Sodbury railway station, North Filton Platform railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway

Sketchmap of Railway described on this page

The Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway was a 7 ft 14 in (2,140 mm) broad gauge railway that linked the Great Western Railway at Swindon, Wiltshire, with Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England. Much of the route is still in regular use today as the Golden Valley Line.

Overview

The line between Cheltenham and Gloucester was worked jointly with the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway, necessitating mixed gauge track and shared maintenance. The line between Gloucester and Standish Junction was owned by the C&GWUR, but the Bristol and Gloucester Railway had running rights over it. The Bristol and Gloucester Railway and 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge Birmingham and Gloucester Railway then merged, and were then quickly taken over by the Midland Railway. The Bristol & Gloucester line was soon converted to standard gauge to allow through trains from Bristol to Birmingham, thus extending the mixed gauge as far south as Standish. Despite this joint working, the stations were generally independent with the individual railways providing duplicate facilities at Cheltenham, Gloucester and Stonehouse.

Chronology

  • 1836 Authorised by Act of Parliament
  • 1840 Railway opened from Cheltenham to Gloucester (only for Birmingham & Gloucester Railway trains)
  • 1841 Railway opened from Swindon to Cirencester
  • 1843 Railway company sold to Great Western Railway
  • 1845 Railway opened from Kemble to Gloucester leaving Cirencester on a short branch
  • 1847 Independent station opened at Cheltenham
  • 1872 Line converted from 7 ft 14 in (2,140 mm) broad gauge to 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge, and mixed gauge lines around Gloucester removed
  • 1882 Kemble station opens at Kemble Junction after local landowner finally gives permission for a station
  • 1903 Introduction of steam railmotor local passenger services in the Stroud Valley, resulting in the opening of 7 small halts to boost traffic
  • 1964 Stroud Valley local services withdrawn and all the halts and some of the intermediate stations closed. Only Kemble, Stroud and Stonehouse remain.
  • 1965 Line from Kemble to Cirencester closed
  • 1966 Cheltenham St James closed as London services transferred back to Cheltenham Lansdown (now Cheltenham Spa).

Stations

Includes stations opened by the Great Western Railway (1843–1947) and BR (1948–)

Swindon and Gloucester stations were already served by other railways prior to the arrival of the C&GWU in 1841 and 1845 respectively. Between Stonehouse (Burdett Road) station and Gloucester trains on this line passed next to the station at Haresfield, but the station only served Midland Railway trains running between Bristol and Gloucester, and there were no platforms facing the C&GWUR (Great Western) tracks.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.