World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chugureti St. Astvatsatsin

Article Id: WHEBN0025925983
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chugureti St. Astvatsatsin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Saint Gregory the Illuminator Church, Yerevan, Katoghike Church, Yerevan, Gethsemane Chapel, Church of the Holy Seal, Tbilisi, Saint Gevork of Mughni Church, Tbilisi
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chugureti St. Astvatsatsin

Chugureti St. Astvatsatsin Church
Չուղուրեթի Սբ. Աստվածածին եկեղեցի
Chugureti St. Astvatsatsin
Shown within Georgia (country)
Basic information
Location Chugureti
Georgia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Architectural description
Architectural style Armenian
Completed start of the 19th century

Chugureti St. Astvatsatsin Church (Georgia.

History

Chugureti St. Astvatsatsin church is not mentioned in old Tbilisi sources and documentation. It is included in the city plan in 1825 already, as well as in a list of Armenian churches of Tbilisi written on 16 December 1831. Historians prefer to date its construction at the start of the 19th century. According to Irakliy II gift certificate, "in 1795 the state village Chugureti with the local inhabitants and lands given to Karapet and Georgiy, children of Sargis-agha (Amatuni) for life tenancy and now order ashigh-agha-basha Tamaz Orbelyanov to give the village for life tenancy".

Chugureti St. Gevorg church, which was constructed by Yerevantsi Papen and Yakov Kocharov in 1807.

There was a note engraved near baptismal of Chugureti St. Astvatsatsin and on the fence, which was later destroyed, the note said: "Remember, O Lord, the soul of the late George Miro Mirimanyants, 27 of the month of March, 1857". This is a unique example when epigraphs are completely identical.

Soviet years and modern times

During Soviet years the church did not function, but escaped destruction along with 11 other Armenian churches destroyed by Lavrentiy Beria order in 1930s.

After Soviet collapse the church was consecrated as Orthodox church.

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.