World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cotehill railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0019909243
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cotehill railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Settle-Carlisle Line, Armathwaite railway station, Cumwhinton
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cotehill railway station


Cotehill railway station was a railway station on the Settle-Carlisle Railway in England between Armathwaite and Cumwhinton. The line opened for passengers in 1876.[1] The Ordnance Survey map published in the year 1900 shows the station serving the point at which a tramway from Knothill Plaster and Cement Works meets the Settle-Carlisle. The tramway continued from Knothill to Boaterby Quarry. According to Tyler, Knothill was one of the first Gypsum sites in Cumbria[2]

The station is named after the nearest village but this is 1.5 miles (2.4 km) away and extremely small. It is closer to the site of Englethwaite Hall which was built by John Thomlinson in 1879 but demolished by 1969,[3] the site now being the location of a Caravan Club campsite. It is clear from the map that the sparse local population could not have sustained a railway station. In addition, the station is only 3.5 miles (5.6 km) from Armathwaite and very close to Cumwhinton, both of which had stations of their own.

The tramway is absent from later maps, though its route is clearly visible as a track on the 1951 map. The station closed in 1952. Unusually for this line, the passenger buildings were demolished. The site remains clear so could in principle be re-used. One end of it is occupied by a communication mast. The stationmaster's house and railway workers' cottages are immediately adjacent to the Cotehill Viaduct, where the railway crosses High Stand Gill near where it flows into the Eden. The houses are privately occupied.

References

Preceding station Historical railways Following station
Armathwaite   Midland Railway
Settle-Carlisle Railway
  Cumwhinton

Coordinates: 54°50′50″N 2°47′46″W / 54.8472°N 2.7961°W / 54.8472; -2.7961


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.