World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cottingley, Bradford

Article Id: WHEBN0005783757
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cottingley, Bradford  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bradford, Bingley, Bingley Rural, Shipley, West Yorkshire, Cottingley
Collection: Geography of Bradford, Villages in West Yorkshire
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cottingley, Bradford

Cottingley

Cottingley Town Hall
Cottingley is located in West Yorkshire
Cottingley
Cottingley
 Cottingley shown within West Yorkshire
OS grid reference
Metropolitan borough City of Bradford
Metropolitan county West Yorkshire
Region Yorkshire and the Humber
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town BINGLEY
Postcode district BD16
Dialling code 01274
Police West Yorkshire
Fire West Yorkshire
Ambulance Yorkshire
EU Parliament Yorkshire and the Humber
UK Parliament Shipley
List of places
UK
England
Yorkshire

Cottingley is a suburban village within the City of Bradford in West Yorkshire, England, situated between Shipley and Bingley. It is perhaps best known for the Cottingley Fairies, which appeared in a series of photographs taken there during the early 20th century.

Governance

Cottingley is part of Bingley Rural ward on Bradford City Council, and part of the parliamentary constituency of Shipley, represented since 2005 by the Conservative Philip Davies.

Geography

Fairies signpost in Cottingley

The village lies in the Aire Valley between Shipley and Bingley approximately 100 metres above sea level. To the north is the A650; Cottingley was formerly on the main road before the highway was built from the Bridge to Bingley in 1825. The land to the east of the B6269 is mainly flat and that to the west rises to a height of 170 metres at March Cote Farm. Cottingley beck cuts a deep, narrow, rocky channel flowing north to the River Aire.

The area lies on Millstone Grit; the lower slopes are covered with boulder clay and some alluvial deposits; there are also signs of glacial drift. Crow Coal mixed with Galliard of approximately 75 ft in thickness was found in the area. To the south it again had coal measures. Old mine shafts litter the fields either side of Cottingley Cliffe Road. These are shown as either Old Coal Pits or Coal pits on the 1852 map of the area, which seems to suggest that some were still being worked in 1852.

Other notes

  • Stock House was the home of Mr. Thomas Baines, manufacturer.
  • Cottingley Hall is shown on the 1908 map as situated near the site of the present Cottingley Manor Park. On the 1852 map it is referred to as Cottingley House. (As Cottingley Hall bore the date 1659 RAF (Robert & Anne Ferrand) together with the Knights double cross, it would appear that Cottingley House and Cottingley Hall are different names for the same property.)
  • Cottingley also had its own reservoir managed by Cottingley Water Works Co. This is shown above Manor Farm (now March Cote Lane) on the local map of 1908.

External links

  • Cottingley.Net - The Cottingley Network
  • Cottingley Connect - non commercial site charting Cottingley village from domesday to present day including the Cottingley fairy story
  • Cottingley at DMOZ.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.