World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Craigellachie distillery

Article Id: WHEBN0042157935
Reproduction Date:

Title: Craigellachie distillery  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Speyside single malt, Glen Scotia distillery, Finnieston distillery, Glenury distillery, Millburn distillery
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Craigellachie distillery

Craigellachie Distillery
Region: Speyside
Location Aberlour, Banffshire
Owner Bacardi
Founded 1891
Status Operational
Water source Local
Number of stills 2 wash stills
2 spirit stills
Capacity 4,000,000 litres of alcohol per annum
Craigellachie
Type Single malt
ABV 40%

The Craigellachie distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery in Aberlour, Banffshire near the village of Craigellachie at the centre of the Speyside whisky producing area of Scotland. The name Craigellachie means 'rocky hill' and refers to the cliff that overlooks the Spey across from The Macallan distillery.

Bacardi operates the distillery through its subsidiary Dewar & Sons. Dewar & Sons also controls Royal Brackla, Aberfeldy, Aultmore, and Macduff.

History

The Craigellachie distillery was built in 1891 by Craigellachie Distillery Co. Limited, a group of blenders and merchants led by Alexander Edward. Two years later, it was incorporated as a limited company and in 1896 it was reconstructed as Craigellachie-Glenlivet Distillery Ltd.

During the years that followed, ownership passed to Peter Mackie (in 1916), the Distillery Company Limited (in 1927) and SMD (in 1930). The transfer to SMD marked the beginning of a period of stability for Craigellachie; apartfrom a reconstruction in 1964-65 during which the number of pot stills was doubled, relatively little happened at the distillery. In 1998, it was sold to John Dewar & Sons.

During its history, the distillery has released only a handful of official bottlings. The distillery's product is currently primarily used for Dewar's blended whisky.

External links


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.