World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Crimean Oblast

Crimean Oblast
Кримська область
Крымская область
Oblast of the Russian SFSR (1945-1954) and Ukrainian SSR (1954-1991)

 

1945–1991
Location of Crimea
Crimean Oblast (red) and Ukrainian SSR (beige).
Capital Simferopol
History
 •  Crimean ASSR dissolved June 30, 1945 1945
 •  Transferred to Ukrainian SSR February 19, 1954
 •  Autonomy restored February 12, 1991 1991
Area 27,000 km2 (10,425 sq mi)
Today part of
Part of a series on
Crimean Tatars
By region or country
Religion
Languages and dialects
History
People and groups

The Crimean Oblast (Ukrainian: Кримська область Kryms’ka oblast’ ; Russian: Крымская область Krymskaya oblast’ ; Crimean Tatar: Qırım vilâyeti) was an oblast (province) of the former Russian SFSR (1945–1954) and Ukrainian SSR (1954–1991) within the Soviet Union. Its capital was the city of Simferopol.

The Crimean Oblast replaced the Crimean ASSR on June 30, 1945.

The oblast was transferred from the Russian SFSR to the Ukrainian SSR on February 19, 1954.

Sevastopol was a closed city due to its importance as the port of the Soviet Black Sea Fleet and was attached to the Crimean Oblast only in 1978.

Following a referendum held on January 20, 1991, the Crimean Oblast was given back its pre-WWII status of Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic on February 12, 1991, by the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR.[1]

In 1992, the Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic was transformed into the Autonomous Republic of Crimea within Ukraine, with the exception of the city of Sevastopol whose status, once again due to its strategic importance as the port of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, remained disputed between Ukraine and Russia until 1997, when it was agreed that it should be treated as a "city with special status" within Ukraine.

See also

References

  1. ^ "Day in history - 20 January".  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.