World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

David D. Terry

For other people of the same name, see David Terry (disambiguation).

David Dickson Terry (January 31, 1881 - October 6, 1963) was a U.S. Representative from Arkansas and son of William Leake Terry.

Born in Little Rock, Arkansas, Terry attended public schools, along with the Bethel Military Academy in Fauquier County, Virginia and the University of Virginia at Charlottesville. He graduated from the law department of the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville in 1903. Later, he also attended the University of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois. After he was admitted to the bar in 1903, Terry commenced practice in Little Rock.

During the First World War, Terry enlisted on June 5, 1918 and was later commissioned a second lieutenant of Infantry. He was discharged on December 20, 1918.

From 1929 to 1933, Terry served as member of the Little Rock School Board. He was elected to the State House of Representatives in 1933. Then Terry was elected as a Democrat to the Seventy-third Congress to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of Heartsill Ragon. Terry was reelected to the Seventy-fourth and to the three succeeding Congresses, where he served from December 19, 1933 to January 3, 1943. He did not run for reelection in 1942, in order to run for the United States Senate. His run was unsuccessful, and he returned to the practice of law.

Terry served as director of the Division of Flood Control Water and Soil Conservation of the Arkansas Resources and Development Commission from 1945 until 1953.

Terry died in Little Rock, Arkansas, on October 6, 1963. He was interred in Mount Holly Cemetery. Named in his honor, the Little Rock School District opened Terry Ełementary School in 1964.[1]

References

Template:CongBio

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.