World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

De Meer Stadion

De Meer Stadion
Location Amsterdam
Owner AFC Ajax
Capacity 19,000
Surface Grass
Construction
Opened December 9, 1934
Closed 1996
Demolished 1998
Architect Daan Roodenburgh
Tenants
AFC Ajax (Eredivisie) (1934–1996)

De Meer Stadion (Dutch pronunciation: ) is the former stadium of AFC Ajax. It was opened in 1934 as a result of the club's former stadium being too small. Upon completion, it could hold 22,000 spectators, but accommodating up to 29,500 at its maximum. Increasing safety requirements gradually reduced this number to 19,000.

De Meer opened in 1934.

Over time, as Ajax's popularity and success grew, the De Meer proved to be too small. From 1928 onward, Ajax played their big European games at the Olympisch Stadion. The larger venue also hosted Ajax's midweek night games, since the De Meer was not suited for floodlights. The De Meer was abandoned with the opening of the purpose built Amsterdam ArenA in 1996.

The Dutch national football team played five international matches at the stadium, winning all of them. The first one, on August 22, 1973 was a qualifying match for the 1974 FIFA World Cup against Iceland (5-0). The last one, played on March 25, 1992, was a friendly against Yugoslavia (2-0).

Following the club's departure, the De Meer was demolished to make way for a housing development. However, the area is commemorated by having the new streets named after famous football stadia from around the world. The centerspot was recreated cosmetically as the real centerspot was built over.

References

  • (Dutch) VoetbalStats
  • english.ajax.nl - De Meer



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.