World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0000158311
Reproduction Date:

Title: Diest  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Prince of Orange, Averbode Abbey, Scherpenheuvel-Zichem, Liliane Saint-Pierre, Tom Vanhoudt
Collection: Municipalities of Flemish Brabant
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Diest City Hall
Diest City Hall
Flag of Diest
Coat of arms of Diest
Coat of arms
Diest is located in Belgium
Location in Belgium
Country Belgium
Community Flemish Community
Region Flemish Region
Province Flemish Brabant
Arrondissement Leuven
 • Mayor Jan Laurys (DDS)
 • Governing party/ies DDS, VLD
 • Total 58.20 km2 (22.47 sq mi)
Population (1 January 2013)[1]
 • Total 23,259
 • Density 400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)
Postal codes 3290, 3293, 3294
Area codes 013 - 011

Diest (Dutch pronunciation: ) is a city and municipality located in the Belgian province of Flemish Brabant. Situated in the northeast of the Hageland region, Diest neighbours the provinces of Antwerp to its North, and Limburg to the East and is situated around 60 km from Brussels. The municipality comprises the city of Diest proper and the towns of Deurne, Kaggevinne, Molenstede, Schaffen and Webbekom. As of January 1, 2006, Diest had a total population of 22,845. The total area is 58.20 km² which gives a population density of 393 inhabitants per km².


  • History 1
  • Attractions 2
  • Twin towns – Sister cities 3
  • Notable people from Diest 4
  • Images 5
  • References 6
  • External links 7


Between 1499 and 1795 the town was controlled by the House of Nassau (as were Breda in the Netherlands, Dillenburg in Germany and Orange in France) which was also the family of the Princes of Orange who at the end of the Napoleonic Wars became in 1815 the kings and queens of the Netherlands after the termination of the Dutch republic at the hands of revolutionary forces in 1795. The most famous representative of the House of Orange was William I of Orange-Nassau. Also known as William the Silent (1533-1584), who led the revolt of the United Provinces against Spain.

Diest is surrounded by high ramparts, which are partially preserved.


Grote Markt
The market place of Diest is surrounded by picturesque houses from the 16th to 18th Century. The town hall is also located here, in the basement of the city museum. Exhibits in the museum include the armour of Philip of Orange and a portrait of René of Orange-Nassau and his wife Anna of Lorraine.
St. Sulpitiuskerk
The church of St. Sulpitius is also located on the Grote Markt. It was built in 1417-1534 from brown sandstone, typical of this period. The grave of Philip of Orange can be found here. After the death of his father William I of Orange-Nassau, he became Lord of the city. In the turret on the church a famous carillon made by Pieter Hemony in 1671.
Town Centre
The house "Hof van Nassau" in the centre is worth a visit, along with Gothic church of Our Lady (built 1253-1288) which has an award-winning pulpit. In the Sint Jan Berchmansstraat you can visit the "Gulden Maan" , the house where St. John Berchmans was born.

Twin towns – Sister cities

Diest is twinned with:

Notable people from Diest



  1. ^ Population per municipality on 1 January 2013 (XLS; 607.5 KB)

External links

  • Official website - Only available in Dutch
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.