World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Dimovo

Dimovo
Димово

Panoramic overview of Dimovo
Dimovo
Dimovo
Location of Dimovo

Coordinates: 43°45′N 22°44′E / 43.750°N 22.733°E / 43.750; 22.733

Country Bulgaria
Provinces
(Oblast)
Vidin
Government
 • Mayor Lozan Lozanov
Elevation 75 m (246 ft)
Population (December 2009)[1]
 • Total 1,211
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal Code 3750
Area code(s) 09341

Dimovo (Bulgarian: Димово [ˈdimuvu]) is a town in northwestern Bulgaria, part of Vidin Province. It is the administrative centre of the homonymous Dimovo Municipality, which lies in the eastern part of Vidin Province, 30 kilometres from Vidin at the Danube and 50 kilometres from Bregovo at the Timok River and the Serbian border. As of December 2009, Dimovo has a population of 1,211 inhabitants.[1]

The town is located in the western Danubian Plain. Until the Liberation of Bulgaria in 1878, it was known as Barzitsa (Бързица) in Bulgarian, but it had the Ottoman name Osmaniye. In 1880, it was renamed to Aleksandrovo after the Bulgarian knyaz Alexander I of Battenberg. It was briefly named Vlaykovo in honour of Todor Vlaykov in 1936, but the name was changed back to honour Alexander as Knyaz Aleksandrovo in the same year. Finally, the modern name of Dimovo was established in 1951, after local partisan Zhivko Puev's nickname, Dimo.

Municipality

Main article: Dimovo Municipality


Dimovo municipality has an area of 402 square kilometres and includes the following 23 places:

  • Archar
  • Bela
  • Dalgo Pole
  • Darzhanitsa
  • Dimovo
  • Gara Oreshets
  • Izvor
  • Karbintsi
  • Kladorub
  • Kostichovtsi
  • Lagoshevtsi
  • Mali Drenovets
  • Medovnitsa
  • Oreshets
  • Ostrokaptsi
  • Septemvriytsi
  • Shipot
  • Skomlya
  • Varbovchets
  • Vladichentsi
  • Vodnyantsi
  • Yanyovets
  • Yarlovitsa

References

External links

  • Dimovo municipality page at the Vidin Province website (Bulgarian)

Coordinates: 43°45′N 22°44′E / 43.750°N 22.733°E / 43.750; 22.733

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.